The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its no longer possible to get paintball tanks filled locally. Dick's no longer does it, and the local home brew shop wants $18 to fill a 24oz tank. (They will fill a 5# for $25 which is still crazy.)

So I need a real tank. Can get a 15# for 115 filled and the refill costs $28.

Used/recertified tanks seem to cost around $80.

IMO, it seems that lease/exchange tanks is the same cost and you don't have to don't pay a "fillup premium".

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
610 Posts
I can only get tanks refilled here by exchange.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depends what the cost breakdown is for your area. In my situation it made the most sense to get a 5# tank second hand and then exchange it at AirGas. I paid $20 for an out of cert tank and exchanged it for a filled certified tank at AirGas for another $20. AirGas doesn't check the hydro dates for tanks you exchange so this is a good way to flip a tank with an expired hydro date without paying for the testing.

I recommend you check Facebook Marketplace and local homebrew groups for folks looking to get rid of their tanks and go from there. With patience I think you'll find a great deal.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Depke is my best bet here in Central Illinois. I bought a refurbished steel 5# tank (roughly $50-$60 shipped)and another refurbished steel 10# ($70-$80 shipped) tank later down the road. Refills are around $22 for the 5# and $24 for the 10#.

Depke wanted $160 to lease a filled 5# tank(I didn't bother to inquire about the 10#). Anyway I brought my refurb steel 5# tank to them and they exchanged it with a brand new Aluminum filled 5# tank. Next time I went I received a refurb steel 5# tank from them. All for around $22 per transaction. So I'm currently in their lease program without having to pay the premium price for it.

Reactions: ChrisX

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
They will fill a 5# for $25 which is still crazy.
My local gas place doubled their CO2 rate awhile back..Said it was the state.
If true I suppose it was a "greenhouse gas tax".
$23.62 for #7. Odd Bewveragelements tank.
BE is out of any decent size recerted steel tanks.

Our local fire supppression company sells repurposed fire extinguishers for this purpose.
Cost is higher than normal but they give you the first fill free so sort of a wash.

Pretty sure there is no cow frt tax here...

Reactions: ChrisX

·
Registered
343 Posts
My local welding shop bumped up the price to $25 recently as well. Was $20 for the longest time. I bought an additional 5lb tank from them last time I was in for $80. Now I have 2 5lbers so I don't have to rush around when one kicks. Unless I slack off and don't fill the empty like last time ha!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Buy the cheapest tank you can. Most gas stores simply exchange your empty tank for a filled one that they have in stock.

I made the mistake of dropping more money on a higher quality cylinder expecting them to refill my cylinder only for them to tell me they only refill via exchanges and so I end up with just a random one.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's more economical over the long run to buy the tank then pay for the gas alone when exchanging it. Lease fees will add up to more than the purchase price eventually.
My tank is running on fumes, so I had to research this and act fast.

I found a Brewers Mart about 45 minutes away that sold me a fresh new 2021 aluminum 10# tank for $98. They directed me to a place ten minutes away that filled it for $23. So about $125 to get started with a 10# tank. Based on my paintball tank usage, this will last around 1.5 years.

The problem with the rental/exchange model is that if/when you stop getting it filled, you are left with a junky tank with a not-recent cert date.

Its really a shame Dick's doesnt fill paintball anymore. I could get 5 (+1 free) for $25. Which is about the same price/volume I got on the 10# fill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
have you checked with Dick's again? Some Dick's Sporting Goods shops will and some won't. There is one that is relatively close to me that I go to for a refill of my 24oz paintball canisters. Hopefully they will restart these operations again for your local one. Maybe if enough people ask for it they will consider adding that service again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
have you checked with Dick's again? Some Dick's Sporting Goods shops will and some won't. There is one that is relatively close to me that I go to for a refill of my 24oz paintball canisters. Hopefully they will restart these operations again for your local one. Maybe if enough people ask for it they will consider adding that service again.
None of the Dick's around me offer it any more. Luckily, I founda couple of paintball fields that refill them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.