Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, its an average deal at best

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a chance to buy a used Fluval 406 for $75. The filter is complete with hoses and has an extra motor. Comes packed with Matrix and Purigen. Lets here it yay or nay?

·
Registered
835 Posts
not a terrible deal, but not a "steal"

make sure and test it first, to ensure it doesn't leak

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a terrible deal, but not a "steal"

make sure and test it first, to ensure it doesn't leak
Ive read they have that problem and vasoline on the o-rings fixes it. Can you verify?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ive read they have that problem and vasoline on the o-rings fixes it. Can you verify?

I can't verify that, as my 405 never had a leaking problem. My 405 never had any issues. I was more or less simply suggesting that as advice with any used filter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got a used 404 for $10 and couldn't be happier with it. Of course I followed that up by buying $50 worth of new parts and media, so $75 for a fully loaded 406 sounds pretty good. I replaced all the gaskets and use silicone grease on them, never had any leaks (except for the one time I didn't plug the hose connection all the way in!)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought 75 wasnt bad with a spare motor/head. New they go for $200+.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

I can verify that every fluval canister I've had (all purchased used) have leaked. Some were easily fixed. Some continually trickled a bit of water no matter what I did.

I'd take that $75 and buy a brand new sun sun canister on amazon!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its a good filter, and I'd say its a pretty good price, especially with the motor part.

My only concern (as someone with a 305, and who recently went "high tech") is how easy, or not easy, it is to add things in line. The hoses are a bit of a pain for me, so I'm looking into an eheim now. That being said, there are lots of handy people out there that know how to make the ribbed hoses work, or how to change them out.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all of the replies. Ive decided to hold off on this. I am going to build a diy internal canister instead and see how that works. Thanks to all who replied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.