The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
as most of you know Im trying to figure out what route to take with my co2 system. Im thinking I will order one from aquariumplants.com a 5lb full for 100 thats half the price at my fish store. Ive also located a cpl of places not too far from me that will do refills. It will take an hr each way by bus or sub but I figure Ill get 5-6 months out of it so it wont be too bad. Now my question is do you think they would allow me to carry the cylinder on the subway or bus?
thanks
patrick

·
Registered
430 Posts
actually I guess that is a tough one to answer in this day and age. Not long ago I would of said No Worries, now we're all so ultra safe and paranoid. You better ask ahead of time if your really worried.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks KrazyFish
Ive tried calling the mta and after 30 min on the phn pushing buttons I gave up. I called the cab company just to see what they would charge to take me to where I can get a refill about 7-8 miles 22 each way so Im no better off that way than I am just getting the 20 0z every 2-3 months for 25$

·
Registered
393 Posts
I carried my co2 tank in a gym bag while taking the train from 86st in Manhattan to Brooklyn. I wouldnt suggest having it out in the open. Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
51 Posts
CO2 is inert and non-flammable. But I did shoved my 5lbers in my backpack to refill in astoria and took it to work afterwards by subway and bus last year. Only complaint is that it's super cold.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Just keep it covered and go for it, the security on the MTA is so incredibly poor that there is little chance anyone would notice.

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks speedballz I wonder if it would fit into my back pack? hmm will have to check that out. I found a fire extinguisher store not far from me by bus about 30 min. They arent picking up I called yesterday and today so prob closed on weekends. Ill call in the morn also will see the measurements on my back pack and cylinder. What I have now should work on a 5lb cylinder right?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Joraan
I found a fire extinguisher comp really close by me but have been able to speak to anyone yet will call tomorrow. I found a 5lb cylinder at aquariumplants.com filled and shipped for 100$ so if I can get refills at this fe place Ill prob go that route

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks speedballz and JRMott
now hopefully the is local place will do refills if they do Im all set. Its called Manhattan Fire extinguisher in glendale. I take one bus there. Keep your fingers crossed

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks KSoes thats my plan to call in the morn if they do refills Im going to order the 5lb from online but go over to pacific to get the 20oz to hold me over until the 5lb comes in

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
it'd be advisable to wear a balaclava and gloves when you go.

A balaclava is useful to hide your anxiety on your face that can lead to suspicion.

Gloves are good for handling a cold CO2 tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.