The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know lots of you have had the feeling you are beeing burried alive under algae and right now Im having that feeling. there is some sort of green algae that is growing in colonies all over my tank. it grows like hair and spreads; it does not look like random hairs here and there it looks as though a umpa lumpa was scalped. this stuff grows on the rocks on the leaves and even looks as though it invades the leaves. as if thats not enough I have green spot algae growing so thick on the sides of the tank that it is getting hard to see in. what is this stuff, how do I get rid of it and how did you guy get rid of it? Can I ever get the glass to look as clean as when I bought it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In order to help we probably need more info on your set up. Tank size, lighting, co2, water parameters, are you dosing, how long its been set up?

And yes! you can get your glass to look just as new! :)

If you can hardly see trough the glass you probably have a case of green dust algae (GDA). Is it like a slimy carpet over the glass that can be easily scrape off? Green spot algea (GSA) is actually green spots on the glass or slow growing plants.

If its GDA it is recommended to let it run its course for a few weeks and than carfully scrape it all off the glass followed by a 50-60% water change. If done properly, it should not come back again. Also an occasional whipping of the glass goes a long way.

GSA on the other hand is usually a sign of low phosphates. So upping the dosage should take care of it. You do need to initially scrape it off the glass though.

When dealing with algea in general there is 3 things you should ask yourself:
- Do I have too much light for too long?
- Am I supplying optimum co2 levels?
- Am I supplying all the nutrients my plants need in order to out-compete the aglae?

JP

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for responding
I have a 75 gallon tank, co2 injected, with a 130 watts of light (or 260 not able to check right now). I do not dose. And I am pretty certain that I dont have gda but have gsa because it does not come off easily and it seems it be in the shape of small dotts that all connected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts