The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
So I decided to get a nice big piece of mopani wood ( I already have 2 smaller pieces plants have grown around). Well at our last house I put it in my big pot I use for this, put it on our glass cooktop for a few hours, drained let sit in hot water, then boiled again for another 2-3 hours and never saw any staining. Well we have moved since then and now have gas. I did same thing went to drain water and picked wood up the whole bottom is black!. I am guessing its from the direct heat. Its the part that will be mainly covered with plants so I am not too worried but what does everyone think about it hurting my fish or even my plants? Thanks for all the help in advance. :help:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you get when you partly burn wood? Charcoal! Odds are good that you are safe?
That's funny, I hadn't even thought about that. So do you think it will stain my water? It defiantly looks like charcoal in some parts, others turned dark brown once cooled down.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I kinda doubt it's actually charred wood, more likely just stained more in one area then another from tannins or something.

On the off hand it is charcoal, that stuff should pretty much scrub off easily with a brush.

And, yeah, I don't think it would harm anything to put it in the tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the more it cools the less black it looks. Now there is only 1 small spot of straight up black. I tried touching it to see if it would crumble and it didn't so I guess its not too bad. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I can't see wood being charred while under water, especially on a kitchen stove. When I boiled my mopani it got really dark brown/ black its from the excessive amount of tannin being forced out. You are safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well once it cooled down some spots were definitely charred they crumbled, but it's not to much and is on very bottom. One thing that's weird is it something that looks like salt crystals is all in the cracks of the knot. Anyone know what it is?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
304 Posts
I boiled my Mopani Wood for a full day replacing evaporated water every few hours. The wood turned pitch black all over during boiling and eventually gained it's color back over the first week it sat in a full tank. I didn't notice any negative effects to my tank. I am about 46 days from boiling and my Mopani is the same shade of color as when I obtained it.

30 days after boil

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Well once it cooled down some spots were definitely charred they crumbled, but it's not to much and is on very bottom. One thing that's weird is it something that looks like salt crystals is all in the cracks of the knot. Anyone know what it is?

Not sure. If you have pretty hard water where you are, and you actually boiled off a lot of water, it might be the minerals in the water building up on the wood. Do you get scale build up in your kettles and such?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do have hard water but it's softened. The whole pot was still filled with water. It was only about 4 inches from rim. Weird huh. The water doesn't even get a rapid boil, even after being on high for 3 hrs. I am using a large pot used for turkey frying. I am not too worried but I just can't figure out how it happened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts