The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For some context, I made this tank with aquarium silicone glue and rocks that I found (I made sure they would not alter the PH). It has been running for a little over a month and I added 6 CPDs (celestial pearl danios/galaxy rasboras) last week. One of them had been missing for 3 days, but I assumed I was just counting weird or that he was hiding amongst the moss. Yesterday I finally went looking for him and decided to look behind the tank where I found the poor little guy stuck inches deep under the substrate. I thought for sure he had kicked the bucket but I fished him out and he swam right away!!! Anyway, they keep going behind the rocks and I am worried that more of them will get stuck,,,, what should I do? I love my little CPDs and I don't want any of them to get hurt.

Here are my options:

I could take out all the water and fish, dry out the tank and seal it all in more silicone so there are no holes. Pro: I get to keep them in this setup, Con: Takes a lot of time and if they get stuck again it will be even harder for them to swim out.

I could completely re-do this tank and scrape off the silicone and take out the rocks. Pro: No need to buy anything new, Con: I like the setup

I could get them a new tank and put something bigger in this tank. Pro: Nothing gets changed in the tank, and I can use my old filter so it should cycle fast, Con: Not sure of other suitable fish, I have to make a new tank for CPDs and I am running out of fish tank space.

Anyway, those are all the options I could think of please send ideas/criticism/options my way ASAP!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't worry about them getting stuck and hurt. My tank has tons of little nooks and hideouts. My pygmy sunfish will bury themselves deep into the hardscape, and always seem to turn up alive..

Is a trapped fish a common issue?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts