The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bummed ... several fish died. Only one confirmed, but several are missing. I installed a new inline filter yesterday and am running the old one with it (Eclipse 3 hood). Today got home after work and the tank temp was 84! I have it set for 74-76 usually. The heater was also on at that temp! I don't know if it was the heat or the stress of the new filter. I let the PVC joints cure for a few days before use, so I don't think it was the VOC's in the glue/primer.

Sucks ... two or three of my new Otocinclus cocama look like they're about to die, one of two Crossocheilus siamensis is missing and the other looks like it won't make it. Regular oto's look bad. One of three cherry barbs probably won't make it. The shrimp seem to be OK. The ropefish is sluggish. Noboby's eating much except for the Gouramis. Even the Botia striata aren't hungry. That's very unusual.

·
Registered
376 Posts
thats really odd. my tank regularly goes from 77 in the early morning to 83 during the day everyday. the lights go off at night and i have the ac on all night. i leave the house i turn AC off and with the PC lights the temperature rises alot. i would keep hunting for more clues. did you check parameters? just do a water change...

where did you get your striatas? i looooooove those fish, love all the botias. i have 3 striatas i got from tex trop. do they still have some?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
The higher the temp, the lower the O2 levels. The bigger the fish, the more O2 it needs. Gouramis can breath air. Put an airstone in the tank and see what happens.....DC

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the airstone first day running continuously. No nitrites or ammonia. Nitrates 20ppm. The fish seem to be doing better now ... the ones that remain anyway. That temp was the highest number on the scale (stick on glass), so I don't have a real good idea of what temp it really was. I know that the water was pretty darn warm/hot to the touch. Not painfully so.

I added new carbon to the inline filter (Pentair Aquatics modules) and maybe this helped recovery. I was worried about residual VOC's poisoning them, though the setup should have cured well over the few days that it was sitting around not being used and not filled with water. I did some trial runs of the filter to and from a garbage can to rinse out the apparatus as well.

I unplugged the heater as the new inline pump (Blueline Velocity T1?) runs pretty hot and the tank stays at 76-78 degrees F without a heater. This filter will eventually go onto a bigger tank so heat will likely not be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts