The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after doing a bit of searching, i think bumble bee sanils can be turned from marine to freshwater.
is that true?

also, how would i go about doing that? i think bucket/drip acclimation would work.
i geuss i could put one in a 5 gal. with the bag saltwater and slowly drip freshwater into the bucket untill it's pretty much all freshwater.

i think the same is done to olive nerites, and a few others as well, but i know the lfs has these often. also, they're very colorful snails!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could i do that in a bucket?
i think it may be worth the whole 2$ to find out, but it is a liva animal, and i don't want to start a riot from aspca or something!

i think maybe setting up an extremely slow drip system with an airstone for water movement may work.
maybe i could put a cup of water in every few hours, gradually reducing the salinity in the cup, therefore basically making a small SW setup and lowering the salinity?

·
Registered
324 Posts
could i do that in a bucket?
i think it may be worth the whole 2$ to find out, but it is a liva animal, and i don't want to start a riot from aspca or something!

i think maybe setting up an extremely slow drip system with an airstone for water movement may work.
maybe i could put a cup of water in every few hours, gradually reducing the salinity in the cup, therefore basically making a small SW setup and lowering the salinity?
Its a possibility, I know in the UK theres a site that sells ones already acclimatised as my girlfriend has one in her clawed frog tank.But you have to remember that even if they are living in fresh they will still need a ph above 7 and for long term health they really need very hard alkaline water or their shells will dissolve.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my tapwater is about 8.0 at highest, around 7.6 lowest. very hard due to(word i can't say here) limestone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.