The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just recently got into community tanks! And I have a lot of questions... the big one is I think I have a bully problem!
The fish store I got all my fish from is a sort of mom/pop shop that is slightly more expensive than petco but with much higher quality fish and knowledge! . The cool thing about this shop, according to the owners, is all of the fish they stock can basically happily live together (minus the occasional outlier).
So, without much research the first fish I purchased was an Electric Blue Ram (which i'm not starting to maybe regret- considering my whole goal was a community tank). A little later I added some cardinal tetras, no problem. But then I added a yo-yo loach and now my EBR is being a massive jerk.
It seems like any time my EBR notices my loach he chases him around the tank until the loach hides. Several seconds after hiding my loach will come back out and continue vacuuming the tank, until the EBR continues the never ending loop.
I haven't noticed any nipping yet, but i'm starting to get worried. The EBR is especially rude after feeding.

Since adding my yoyo loach I have also added a couple of red phantom tetras, temporarily the issue was resolved but now the EBR is going after my loach again. It is so weird, the EBR doesn't have an issue with any of the other fish in the tank!
I'm wondering if it has to do with size? The loach and EBR are very similar in size (Slightly over an inch maybe) whereas my tetras are considerably smaller.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
What size is your tank?

Anytime you add cichlids to a community aquarium there is a chance that things wont work out.
The yoyo loach is obviously threatening the Ram ( unknowingly, of course), and it is doing what cichlids do. Defending its territory.

For a more peaceful tank, you may want to take the Ram back and get some more yoyo loaches- they like to be with their own kind. They are a social fish.
Also, tetras are a schooling fish and appreciate being in a school. If there are not enough tetras in a tank, they will not feel comfortable or school naturally.
Not sure how big your tank is so I am limited in advising you how many more loaches and tetras to get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to include that. It’s a 10 gallon tank with a few rocks, plants and a piece of driftwood.
I was going off the inch rule, as well as regular water changes.
Currently
1 EBR
1 loach
3 cardinal tetras
2 red phantoms

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
A 10g tank does not have enough floor space to share by an EBR and a loach, both of whom are bottom dwelling fish. In your scenario, the loach , who will get to 3++", is the odd guy out. I would exchange him for 3 - 5 additional cardinals.

Reactions: ChrisX

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Possible solutions?

Not entirely sure if the store would allow me to return the yo-yo... any suggestions if not?

Part of the reason I really wanted a loach was because he's a bottom feeder and I love watching them "vacuum".
If I did return him and got a few more tetras would I also be able to fit a different type(s) of loach or cory? Or do you guys think I would have the same issues with tank size/the ram?

I REALLY don't want to return the yo-yo, but I also don't want to give him an unhappy life..

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Not entirely sure if the store would allow me to return the yo-yo... any suggestions if not?

Part of the reason I really wanted a loach was because he's a bottom feeder and I love watching them "vacuum".
If I did return him and got a few more tetras would I also be able to fit a different type(s) of loach or cory? Or do you guys think I would have the same issues with tank size/the ram?

I REALLY don't want to return the yo-yo, but I also don't want to give him an unhappy life..
Minimum tank size 20 gal. The GBR could probably use more space too.

Is it possible to get a larger tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Minimum tank size 20 gal. The GBR could probably use more space too.

Is it possible to get a larger tank?
I was toying with that idea.. I think my boyfriend would have an aneurysm though..
We live in a studio, and a larger tank would definitely require a new piece of furniture (ie a tank stand - our current tank is on one of those 2x3 cubby things from target. definitely not designed to hold too much weight). And I don't think we have space for something like that - unless I got rid of my bedside table...

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
WOW! This turned into a tough group. So how about another line of thought that might work---or not? I find the primary thing in my tanks of cichlids is the way we set them up for each group. I find that fish behave much like people, at times. So if we have a problem with people not getting along, one way we can solve it is to set things so the two are not in each others face all the time!
The loach and ram are both bottom guys but they can each have "their" side if we set it to allow that. Perhaps some added decor mods would help? Trial and error involved because fish nor people all act the same.
My first try in your setting would be to add some items that are hollow or something the loach will love but not be to interesting for the ram. Some cheap tries might be cutting off plastic bottles to lie flat/ semi-buried in the substrate and I'm guessing the loach takes them and that gets him out of the ram's sight and mind! If you do try this, they can be hidden by smearing silicone on the top and sticking layers of the sub into the silicone before it sets fully. Another point is to make openings in both end or so that water flow goes through. Even loaches don't favor bad water!! Good luck but no need to punt just yet!

A picture of the idea that I propose? My experience says we can get away with a lot if we set the tank right. big fish eat little fish but not if they seem to just "disappear" every time the big guy looks their way? Pretty soon, the big guys just stop thinking about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A picture of the idea that I propose? My experience says we can get away with a lot if we set the tank right. big fish eat little fish but not if they seem to just "disappear" every time the big guy looks their way? Pretty soon, the big guys just stop thinking about them.
Awesome! thanks so much, i'll try this out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts