The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

QT Tank 60 litres

bare bottom

temp 28-30 degrees, it has a lid, I can't do much to variate it, so I gave up on the idea of modifying the temp

filter media: 10, 20 and 30ppi sponges and nylon synthetic wool (PERLON) by jewel or something

pump with venturi almost invisible air micro bubble, 2 x large internal filters with sponges and powerhead, surface skimmer with a coarse sponge, a net hatchery box that holds 3 litres of perlon and some sponges

no light

10 black skirt tetras

one died a year ago, weeks after purchase, it was the smallest male (just like the one in the picture - the current smallest male), it had a black spot (bought him with it) on the center of 1side, bones were visible when removed.

is columnaris black in color when the fish affected is a black widow tetra?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It''s a 25 gallon tank at the office. We never ever performed a water test of any kind. Last year I added extra sponges into the filter. The maternity box is made out of a net (net breeder / hatcher) and it holds sponges as well as perlon (nylon synthetic wool). I just rinse parts of the filter media, alternatively, in a bucket that holds the water I siphon every workday. (Somewhere around 15% - 18%, less than 20% water change)

The entire year I had some algae / green spot algae on the sides and bottom of the tank. But I don't use the light anymore. It was a pink bulb that enhanced both fish and plant. I had a floating plant that was covered in algae, but my colleagues removed it because they said they don't see the fish because of it. But that was in December. So I added the maternity box and since December - the flow is friendlier and the fish go around the maternity. The tank has no substrate of any kind, it just holds some black skirts tetra, a large pump, an internal filter, a funnel like internal filter that cleans the surface though skimming and the maternity net box.

The fish are fine, now they quarrel at each other. It's that side of one (smallest) male that bothers me, the whole thing is as big as his side. And there is another one with a big black mouth. I wonder if it's a fungus. I can''t see them really well since that thing on them is.. black. But the fins are fine, they have color, I feed them once a day but they look around all the time, checking around and picking everything in the tank that looks like the granules I use. All of them are very active. It's just the looks that bothers me. I am afraid of the possibility that a few days from now, a moment will come when I'll have to use the net and take them to that bucket in a dip of methylene blue ( I know it's for gram positive, I don't have malachite green yet and I kinda don't want to go buy because I NEVER did these kinds of baths to fish ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.