The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a BD pleco the other night as I don't have any algae eaters in the tank. Local store had many in different tanks and the tanks glass was crystal. Decided to get one. The fish has been stuck to an internal filter since I put him in the tank. Not a speck of algae touched. Don't even see the fish with moonlights of all lights off for that matter. Read later that they are social but not putting more in the tank.

Know the owner and not a problem bringing it back for something else. No bristlenose at the moment which I think I'd go with. Plecos are a gamble at best, just wondering what some of you would consider a great pleco (bristlenose?) I've had siamese algae eaters in the past and they just gave up and ate the aquarium fare. lol Not getting another one of those. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry so loooong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oto cats are my top algae eaters, but can be finicky when it comes to water peramiters. I have a bushy nose pleco that does a good job and is very active (doesn't pick on tank mates either). Nerite snails are workhorses too, but females can be annoying

·
Registered
247 Posts
I will look into these nerite snails. TY Had to edit this. I do remember the nerite snail for saltwater. Didn't realize they are fresh as well. Interesting.

They may be out. I have two clown loaches that will remain for some time I hope. Unless they screw with my Amazon sword !!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't have alot of algae, as the fish load is light, and the lights are on 7-8 hrs. Some on the glass which I manually remove every day. No biggy, just want a dependable pleco. I find Otto's to be a little fragile quite frankly.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My otos are gone. I never see them. I don't know if any of them have died or if they even are eating algae anymore. My SAE are huge algae eaters, but I have heard that they will stop later in life. I have heard alot of good about amano shrimp, but I have never used them myself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up two small BN and they are out and about all day long. Love these fish. The store exchanged them for the bulldog. No real algae at this point really and the glass has been clear for sometime now. Hoping it continues in the meantime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.