The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does it matter which way the male and female parts in the picture goes?
Its for my return line. Both sides have gaskets and the threading will be wrapped.

I had assumed it would be better to have the male part on the outside of the display tank and the female inside the display tank.
This way the return water would first go through the male portion and then into the female portion making it less likely for the water to travel on the threads and leak.

Thanks,

Attachments

· Registered
1,970 Posts
I've never seen a bulkhead fitting like that used for aquariums. The threads don't appear to be pipe thread but I may be wrong so I'm not sure if teflon tape will help or hurt. When you thread the male and female sections together, do they start to get snug before they touch each other?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen a bulkhead fitting like that used for aquariums. The threads don't appear to be pipe thread but I may be wrong so I'm not sure if teflon tape will help or hurt. When you thread the male and female sections together, do they start to get snug before they touch each other?
I believe it leaves a small gap that is smaller than the thickness of the glass if I thread the two together as much as I can. But i have to double check.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts