The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a post somewhere that explains how to plant bulbs by species so the right end is facing up?

I bought a package of bulbs from Pet Smart last week as I've never tried them before. I was just fiddling around with the tank and found two of the bulbs that I thought were not doing anything are growing into the substrate. DOH! LOL

I'm good with starting bulbs in the garden or even in pots, but this aquatic thing is new to me. On a good note, the water onion is growing like a weed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can they be floated till they sprout? then you'll know which end goes up,as well as get a chance to pull the bad ones.
The instructions say to bury them about 3/4 which is fine, but they don't say which way to plant them. It's annoying.

They probably would sprout if floating, but I think I'll just keep checking them. Once a see a green, I'll turn them the right way.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The instructions say to bury them about 3/4 which is fine, but they don't say which way to plant them. It's annoying.

They probably would sprout if floating, but I think I'll just keep checking them. Once a see a green, I'll turn them the right way.
Depending on the species.. The Aponogetons ( little hairy pear-ish shaped ones.) will sprout and grow fine just by leaving them on the substrate.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The bulbs should be Nymphaea sp, Aponogeton sp. and, Crinum thaianum. Or they may be all Aponogeton sp.

Either way, if there is any covering on the bulb (that often makes if float) it should be removed. This is often a hairy, or flakey (like an onion). Also after being soaked, if the bulb has any soft parts, they should be removed.

Best way I've found to sprout them, is to do it in a bowl with water, in good light. It will help you find what end is "up" and will give some roots to help anchor down.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine contains
1 - Nymphaea sp (Lily)
1 - Crinum thaianum (Onion plant)
4 - Aponogeton sp.

Just float them, healthy ones will sink soon and within one or two day they will sprout, then bury them 3/4 and wait. Ditch the ones which doesn't sprout from your tank to avoid the bulb mold.

Mine sprouted in less than 10 hours (except one Aponogeton bulb, took somewhat 36 hours). Seeing the onion sprout in the pack itself was the only reason I picked this from Petsmart, the rest of the packets seemed very dry and hopeless.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Mine contains
1 - Nymphaea sp (Lily)
1 - Crinum thaianum (Onion plant)
4 - Aponogeton sp.

Just float them, healthy ones will sink soon and within one or two day they will sprout, then bury them 3/4 and wait. Ditch the ones which doesn't sprout from your tank to avoid the bulb mold.

Mine sprouted in less than 10 hours (except one Aponogeton bulb, took somewhat 36 hours). Seeing the onion sprout in the pack itself was the only reason I picked this from Petsmart, the rest of the packets seemed very dry and hopeless.
I've found that healthy ones can float too. As I mentioned above, it helps to peel off the outer layers.
Also, if some don't sprout, don't throw them out! Send them back to the company! Every package I've seen has a guarantee to replace any unsprouted bulbs. I've found that when they replace them, they give a hefty over count! I've purposely bought packages with dead bulbs, just to return them to the company. Then they ship the replacement bulbs with lots of extras! :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've found that healthy ones can float too. As I mentioned above, it helps to peel off the outer layers.
Also, if some don't sprout, don't throw them out! Send them back to the company! Every package I've seen has a guarantee to replace any unsprouted bulbs. I've found that when they replace them, they give a hefty over count! I've purposely bought packages with dead bulbs, just to return them to the company. Then they ship the replacement bulbs with lots of extras! :D

lol...I thought it was not worth to ship them back. Nice finding though. All I know in aquabid 5 Aponogeton bulb is like $25 including shipping. These topfin bulbs are super cheap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought some of those too. I just placed them on the substrate(once a couple finally sank) where I wanted them to grow. I figured that way I didn't have to worry about which end was up. After they sprouted the Aponogeton bulbs actually buried themselves in time. I guess the roots kind of pulled the bulb under because I know I didn't do it, I'm lazy. The lily bulb did not do this but became hidden by it's leaves. They have been good easy plants for me.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I was wondering how to plant my duck potato's (sagg). I asumed one would just stick it into mud, similar to what I found the parent plants.
in. Outdoors it dies back to little edible potatoes over winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.