The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10g which was previously a saltwater nano that I am going to convert into a low tech planted tank. I currently have a 24" t-5 fixture with 2 10000K and 2 actinic blue bulbs. I am thinking of putting 2 6500K and leaving 1 of the actinics and one of the 10000k. THe bulbs are mounted 6" above the tanks. What do you think?

PS Is this fixture too much light (96w) for a 10 low tech? If so I could just burn 2 of the bulbs. (I have to burn at least 2 bulbs for the fixture to work.) If I do that, which bulbs would you recommend? What about 1 6500K and an actinic (the actinic would provide me with the second bulb but without adding too much light for growth?)

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is a lot of light for a shallow tank, with four bulbs you would be constantly fighting algae.

I would drop to two bulbs definitely. Depending on the brand of fixture (how good the ballast and reflectors are) you are going to need to play with the height to stay low/mod light.

If you post the actual brand of light. Hoppy will usually chime in with very specific and useful information.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You will probably need to keep that Odyssea light, with only two bulbs working, about 2 feet above the substrate unless you use CO2. It will look best if you don't use any actinic bulbs, in my opinion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts