The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:
I had a T5 fluorescent bulb shatter and break over my tank this morning (canopy support failed to do its job; smacking me in the head causing injury and/with broken glass). Anyone know if there is anything I should be concerned about other than obviously trying to get the pieces of glass out of the tank & plants?

Thanks,
- Aaron

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That was a good read Wasserpest. I've often wondered why those bulbs are the big thing now - I know they save some energy but seems like they take a lot more resources to build and also dispose of. I would also debate the claims they last so much longer than incandescent - at least at my house they seem to fail quicker. I had actually given up on the technology after the first two spiral bulbs I bought both failed within 2 months, despite they cost me 10X more than a regular light bulb.

One thing that article says is that a huge number coal power plants could be shut down if everyone switched to these. That’s making a lot of assumptions. What would really happen is the demand for electricity off the grid would diminish slightly. That doesn’t mean its coal plants that will be brought down, in fact I would imagine this would effect other plants like natural gas a lot more than coal. The power industry is economic driven the same as everything else, the first thing to reduce is going to be the most costly units with are usually natural gas.

I think they overestimate the claims anyhow, but I haven’t seen the exact numbers. But commercial lighting and things like street lighting are a pretty big chunk of the total energy load, and unlike houses these are mostly already using efficient lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.