The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I currently have a T5 HO setup with 2 bulbs one is 10000k the other is actinic bulb, which I know is useless it's from when I was using a SW tank. My question is should I replace that actinic bulb with another 10000k? My water depth is 20 inches from the water surface to the substrate. Also will 2 bulbs be enough for that depth? I am using plants also they are surviving but not noticing much growth over 2-3 weeks. Forgot to mention it's a 36 inch bulb

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got similar specs to you, 2 T5HO bulbs running on 21 inches of water. I replaced my old 10k and actinic bulbs with giesemann bulbs (one tropic and one superflora). Since the change the colours on the plants are looking much better. As to whether or not its enough light will all depend on what you want to keep.

My tank is 36" long, and I have only a 24" light with the two above bulbs on 11hrs/day, and I've got bacopa, a sword, crypts, java fern, cabomba, anubias, ludwigia, and some rotala that is still kicking, but admittedly not doing very well. Things are growing, just slowly.

·
Planted Tanker
5,996 Posts
If the light fixture has individual reflectors for each bulb, two t5HOs at 20" will be plenty.

A good 2 bulb combo is one in the 6500K range and one red/pink type - zoomed flora, trulumen flora, whatever geishman's red bulb is called, etc.

The 10000K is alright as far as plants go, just a bit cool to make things look their best. Actinics can be a nice addition if you have more bulbs to play with, really makes the blues pop. But in a 2 bulb unit they arent going to pull their weight as far as growing plants, or looks either for that matter.

To begin with I'd replace the actinic with something in the 6500K range. Then the 10000K can just depend on how you like the look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts