The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the thing, I've been wondering for awhile now if a really well developed bulb plant could live detached from its bulb, but I never wanted to do this on purpose because I didn't want to kill nice growth. Well, in the past couple days I noticed that my Red Tiger Lotus, which had two VERY well developed plants, no longer had its bulb attached. However, the two plants seemed both alive, but not growing. So, are they accumulating nutrients for a new bulb? Are the screwed? Help?

One other question. I've read that some types of plants can have their crowns divided, but typically bulbs cannot be divided. So with plants like mini Lotus, Lace Plants, Barclaya, etc., can the 'bulb' be divided to clone the plant, or will this simply kill it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im not sure about splitting the bulb to clone the plant but I know that a Red tiger lotus dose not nessicaraly need a bulb to live/grow. About 2 months ago I had to pull my red tiger lotus to trim its roots back as the were growing up the walls/wood and trying to take over the whole tank. Well when I went to up root it the bulb broke off and I tossed it, trimmed the roots and re planted it. Well its been about 2 mo and its still growing big, sending leaves to the surface and over all doing quite well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im not sure what It will do to be honest im kinda curious myself lol, I checked it a few days ago when I was doing a W/C out of my own curiosity and the bulb was still gone and it didnt look like a new one was growing, but the plant is still growing so?? IDK maybe it decided it didnt need the bulb, but my other RTL is still holding fast to its bulb but it hasent ever sent 1 single leaf to the surface, unlike the 6-7 the other one without the bulb has produced in the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea whether the plant will grow a new bulb?

Sorry... don't mean to hijack the thread...
Not at all, that was actually one of my questions... just kinda got buried. Seems like a 'logical' step for the plant to take but might not be biologically possible. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sure what It will do to be honest im kinda curious myself lol, I checked it a few days ago when I was doing a W/C out of my own curiosity and the bulb was still gone and it didnt look like a new one was growing, but the plant is still growing so?? IDK maybe it decided it didnt need the bulb, but my other RTL is still holding fast to its bulb but it hasent ever sent 1 single leaf to the surface, unlike the 6-7 the other one without the bulb has produced in the past couple weeks.
That's really quite interesting.... So the lotus with the bulb is sorta lethagic but the lotus w/o is still growing? Really fascinating. I'm constantly amazed by what I learn and hear.

Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok the first pic is of the one with the bulb, its kinda hard to see but it has new growth and is getting to be quite bushy, so I wouldnt say its lathargic. May b just putting energy elsware? The second pic is of the one with no bulb, it hasent put out any new base foliage but it dose put out the lilly pads. I also included 2x pics of the lilly pads from the top and from the bottom, just so you can see the color diff. its bright green on top and purpble on the bottom. I have had to trim the lilly pads away before because they start to shade out the other plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pics. Interesting stuff. It seems clear that the plant can survive without the bulb..... at least the RTL can do this.

Anyony know about a Barclaya Longifolia? It would seem logical that it too could survive.

And what of dividing the bulbs? Anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts