The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to everyone who responded to my "10 gallon Planning Ahead" thread.

Today while walking though Walmart I came across these for $7 - 2 20w 6500k u-tube CFL's.

I figured that the shape is straight and curved like the other more expensive CFL that most retro kits use, so that these would be much better than the spiral with less light loss.

So above a 10 gallon, with some DIY reflectors, out of the 40w total watts could I expect at least 30-35 watts?

Also, the two sockets on my stock hood are made for 25w or less incandescent. Although these are 20w taking the place of 75w, would these be safe to use since the output is 20w?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Buy those!! They are what you need for a planted tank!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
How much WPG do you think I could get over a 10 gallon?
I have a 2 X 40w Orbit PC over a 10g. It works well. I recently changed one of the 40w dual daylight (6700K/10,000K) bulbs for a 36w one (an ADA 8000K). This tank has a pressurized CO2 system and does very well.

Many folks are extremely happy with their 1 X 36w kit from AHSupply.

If I wanted to use the screw in PC's that you linked, I'd plan ahead and set up a 2 X 20w system at first using an enclosure that will hold another 2 X 20w system down the road if needed. (You can also add an AHSupply 2 X 36w refelctor. It's the 2 36w PC side by side one.

If you need more than 2 X 40w, it will be easy to convert.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Z

2 of your bulbs are fine for most instances.

·
Registered
974 Posts
No. These are the equivalent light lumen ratings to standard incandescents. Since incandescents are very inefficient, and lots of energy gets turned to heat, it is a bad way to work with the wattages. Use the fluorescent indicated wattage.

Oh, and the bulbs WILL work in your incandescent fixture if they fit well. Keep the hood well ventilated though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.