The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a light bar over my tank and that's okay. But I like the idea of a spotlight effect and easy adjusting that a gooseneck lamp would bring. Is there a bulb I could throw in one of those and grow plants with?

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
I like smart bulbs because they have built in timer and if using an amazon echo, built in sunrise/sunset effects as well. Plus you can adjust the strength.
I'm pretty well invested in Philips Hue Smart Lights around my house. I thought I read somewhere the light wavelength or K or something wasn't conducive to plant growth. I'd really like to use them if it's possible with, or without, CO2.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I'm pretty well invested in Philips Hue Smart Lights around my house. I thought I read somewhere the light wavelength or K or something wasn't conducive to plant growth. I'd really like to use them if it's possible with, or without, CO2.
You definitely can use them. I believe those are tunable as to the temperature? Ideally you want somewhere around 5000-7000k with your preferences deciding where they are in that area. You will want to buy a bulb appropriate to the size tank. So if you need to supply light to substrate 18+ inches away you are going to want one of their br30 or par38 bulbs, not a 8watt A19 bulb.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You definitely can use them. I believe those are tunable as to the temperature? Ideally you want somewhere around 5000-7000k with your preferences deciding where they are in that area. You will want to buy a bulb appropriate to the size tank. So if you need to supply light to substrate 18+ inches away you are going to want one of their br30 or par38 bulbs, not a 8watt A19 bulb.
Now I'm thinking how I can use these in my basement "fish room". This could be a fun project.

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
Now I'm thinking how I can use these in my basement "fish room". This could be a fun project.
You can use them for sure but they arent going to be high PAR at a distance, So for nano and small stuff they are find but I wouldn't try to light a large planted tank with them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You can use them for sure but they arent going to be high PAR at a distance, So for nano and small stuff they are find but I wouldn't try to light a large planted tank with them.
The largest tank I have for this plan is a 29g. The rest are 16g, 10g and 5g. These tanks are in 2 rows along one corner of my basement. Currently I'm using several different sized Fluval LED bars, but I've been thinking I need a nicer looking long term solution.

·
Super Moderator
16,950 Posts
Pro-tip: Wyze and TP-Link tunable bulbs are cheaper than Hue and work exceptionally well for smaller tanks. Both brands are set it and forget it with no need for a hub. Can even use some neat automated circadian patterns throughout the day if you want with TP-Link.

Both types of bulb end up being cheaper than PAR3x-style but they're not going to do much for the spotlight effect, I'm afraid. Maybe if you use a really reflective shade or housing on the gooseneck. PAR3x LEDs are great for spotlighting and really aren't too expensive. A couple PAR bulbs on the 29 and cheap smart bulbs on the smaller ones could look really nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.