The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some opinions and feedback. Being new to the hobby I am still trying to learn as much as I can before I invest in equipment.

My question is are there good T5HO lights with built in moonlighting or would it be a better bet to buy moonlighting separately? If the better decision is to buy it separately how are they generally mounted?

Thanks in advance,
-N

·
Registered
627 Posts
Recently purchased a 24" aquaticlife fixture with built in moonlight. The moonlight led are awesome, but the male rainbow did freak out the first time I turned them on.

I am running it on a 30" (29g) tank with no dark spots.

I also wanted the built in for one unit and one cord. To be honest, coming from dual t8 shoplight running 5000k it is surprisingly dim. I am aware of par v lumens argument, but was still surprised. I've heard the reflector makes all the difference, but can't speak from experience. The 6000k and red freshwater bulbs seem to make the yellow hues in the plants and fish stand out. Definitely more subdued/tranquil and less washed out compared to 5000k shoplight.

For growth, at 5 weeks since rescape, I am seeing new growth in the crypts after melting, the tropicas being the slowest.3 weeks ago I planted a tiger lotus and it has exploded under this lighting.8 hours on.1hour noon burst with all 4bulbs. Moonlight on 1hour prior, 1hour post.

So far I am happy with my purchase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.