The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone who likes to DIY and may be interested

Took somewhere between 15-20 man hours, only using a circular saw, router and clamps.

Cost me about $175 and that includes the power supply.

It’s about 1.5 sheets of 3/4” thick, 5’x5’ birch ply. The sides are two pieces of 3/4” sandwiched for strength. It’s covered in Formica, everything is sourced from Lowe’s except the power supply.

I didn’t use dados, so I was initially worried about it’s sturdiness and the possibility it could wrack too easy and come out of square.... but it’s rock solid. It weighs about 60lbs I’d guess. I’m 190lbs and I can put as much strain on the corners as I can and it doesn’t show a tiny bit of weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
That looks great ; but one question ..... I noticed that you didn't put a kick ( or toe) panel at the bottom front , but extended the door down to the bottom of the case . When the stand is weighted with the filled tank , will the door open easily on the carpeted floor?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks great ; but one question ..... I noticed that you didn't put a kick ( or toe) panel at the bottom front , but extended the door down to the bottom of the case . When the stand is weighted with the filled tank , will the door open easily on the carpeted floor?

Well I suppose I don’t know yet!

The door clears the floor by 1/8” and in my house, it’ll be on hardwood, so I’m hoping there are no issues. I’ll be sure to update if there are

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! Well done. I’m thinking of making a stand too. I’m inspired!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great! Interested to see what it looks like with a tank on top and full of equipment :)

I’ll update in about a month when it gets set up.... currently cycling my temporary holding tank, so I can empty my main tank and completely re do everything

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks ! Wasn't sure if it was going on hardwood , tile , laminate , or carpet . 1/8 is probably as good as a mile on a hard surface.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few were interested in a shot with everything inside. Here it is with the lines and wires run.

Running behind on everything....because.... life

So it’s still not filled. I’ll get there though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A few were interested in a shot with everything inside. Here it is with the lines and wires run.

Running behind on everything....because.... life

So it’s still not filled. I’ll get there though.

Great job! It turned out really nice!

As an FYI - that doubled-up, 3/4" Birch stand will probably outlast us! That 3/4" Birch plywood is stronger than dimensional lumber.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job! It turned out really nice!

As an FYI - that doubled-up, 3/4" Birch stand will probably outlast us! That 3/4" Birch plywood is stronger than dimensional lumber.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks!

I’m hoping it lasts as long as I need it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, really handsome with the Formica.
What are the overall dims? Tank size?

Thanks

The stand is 36” tall, 24” wide, 14” deep

Tank is a UNS 60u (24”x14”x14”), which puts the overall height of the whole ordeal up to 50” tall to the rim of the tank.

The cabinet is essentially all useable space minus 3” total width due to the thickness of the sides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really nice work! Can you offer any suggestions for others who may wish to build one? How did you join the pieces? Might you have any “in process” photos to to show any details? Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really nice work! Can you offer any suggestions for others who may wish to build one? How did you join the pieces? Might you have any “in process” photos to to show any details? Thanks!

Unfortunately I did not take any photos in progress.

Everything Is screwed together, it’s strength is from being made of high quality 3/4” ply, with doubled up sides and 1/2” ply for a back. The double up sides are glued together.

If anyone has specific questions for making one, feel free to ask in the thread or message me.

I’m thinking next year I’ll be doing a 3ft tank, and I’ll build a similar stand. I’ll document that process further and make a more detailed post.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That would be great.

I wanted to build one for a 75 gallon but winter, a toddler, and an unheated garage said no right now.

So I’m making do with a stock stand and planning for later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts