The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello, I am in the process of buildinga tankstand for my12 gallonjbj. THe reason that i dont like thepermade ones is that they arent tall enough to view.

Im planning on my stand to be 36'' heigh, however not sure if i should make the stand out of 2x3 or 2x4's. I will put one small door and wrap the unit so i can paint it black.

Im going to draw up some plans but Iam wondering what size wood to use. Also the wrap that im going to wrap it with, there is the style with a wood grain and another style thats strictly mdf with no grain, since im painting it it will not matter right?

I have all the equipt and tools to do this project, just never built a stand.

Thanks for the help.

**************************update**********************
Skeleton, constructed out of 2x3 (which wernt really 2x3). held by brackets, glue and screws. the front 2x3 was front to back, and the rear was left to right...did this for stability.

wrapped with 1/4 mdf

made a door out of a few pieces of layerd mdf, low tech but it worked. Pannels were glued together, sanded and painted.

used 3/4 pine on the top and at the base used a router to make it look nicer. this is the top

bottom

painting the door with enamel black (satin)

bad pic of the stand

So it came out great, you cant see the seams at all, i sanded them down after putting some spackle. also the mdf boards were jointed by my air nail gun and put glue on the pannels so its nice and solid. i will be adding shelves later, i already cut the pieces, it just needs to be mounted and I have to put the door on. I stood on the stand this morning and jumped and twisted, didnt even budge....so it can support at least 300 pounds (hah thats a understatment)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It doesn't take a separate frame to support a tank that size. You could make a stand very easy using 3/4" MDF and glue - just a box with the front open. Add a 3 inch high frame of the same stuff under that to hold it up off the floor - 4 pieces 3" wide, glued together and glued to the bottom of the "box". Then put a 4 inch wide piece outside the box across the front, to help support the top across the front, glued in place. Cut a door to fit the opening from MDF, and attach it with hinges. Add a knob and paint the whole thing, after sanding it so all of the joints are blended in, and you have a very sturdy stand, easily able to support that tank, and costing about $50 or less.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was wondering about MDF holding it up cause most of these stands thats all they are. Im just skeptical and always go overboard when it comes to structual integrity.

Your in sacramento, im like by power inn and calvine....dont even try to go through power inn cause its blocked half way lol.

mdf is a tad expensive saying that im going to paint it, would standard plywood work?

if i use 2x3 i think the costs was going to be around 40ish. But if you say that mdf is enough to hold this thing then i may just go for it.

any other ideas? ill be searching in the meantime.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
i was wondering about MDF holding it up cause most of these stands thats all they are. Im just skeptical and always go overboard when it comes to structual integrity.

Your in sacramento, im like by power inn and calvine....dont even try to go through power inn cause its blocked half way lol.

mdf is a tad expensive saying that im going to paint it, would standard plywood work?

if i use 2x3 i think the costs was going to be around 40ish. But if you say that mdf is enough to hold this thing then i may just go for it.

any other ideas? ill be searching in the meantime.
Plywood works well for this too, but you do get a better finish painting MDF than plywood, because it is so perfectly flat and smooth. The last stand I built by that technique was made of oak plywood from Home Depot.

Commercially available stands are usually made of particle board, which is far inferior to MDF.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure if i should stain wood or just go black, my room has the oak style on the furniture but the tank is a dark grey, and i am concerned that the gray mixed with the stained wood look will look ugly and cheezy.

so I have to decide, what would you guys do? stain or paint? and should i use plywood/mdf or 1x4's?

I thought that mdf has a tendency to warp when hit with wateR?

and will i have any issues with stability since the tank is going to sit tall?

·
Registered
600 Posts
the stand i build for my 29 gallon is painted black. i build the main load baring structure out of 2x4's and skined it with 3/4" plywood.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Im not sure if i should stain wood or just go black, my room has the oak style on the furniture but the tank is a dark grey, and i am concerned that the gray mixed with the stained wood look will look ugly and cheezy.

so I have to decide, what would you guys do? stain or paint? and should i use plywood/mdf or 1x4's?

I thought that mdf has a tendency to warp when hit with wateR?

and will i have any issues with stability since the tank is going to sit tall?
Particle board swells very badly when it gets wet, but MDF doesn't do that. Perhaps if you submerged a piece of MDF in water for a few days it would swell, but just getting wet doesn't seem to affect it at all. Wood also swells a bit when it gets wet, so the objective should be to keep it dry, wiping up any spills quickly.

I have a pretty high stand for my 15H gallon tank, and no stability issue has come up. Since the tank is against the wall you would have to work at it to tip it over. I would never make a stand that had a smaller "footprint" than the tank though, just for that reason.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I used 1" (3/4" actual thickness) Aspen for my stand. No supports of any kind just solid planks pocket screwed and glued. You can search for my thread in the DIY section here. I finished it with a 1-Part Rustoleum Acrylic Garage Floor Epoxy. I used the grey version but sure you could get a black version. Hold up well and is super water proof. I've been thinking about replainting my stand black as it would only tank a coat or 2 to do it.

Craig

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found your DIY, nice tank...but honestly I dont want to pay that much lol, im more on a budget.

redman88: nice tank as well, I like the simplicity of the design. how did the texture turn out of the wood after you painted it? did you paint it with a gloss, or flat and did you use a brush or a roller?

I like the finish of them prefabbed tanks, kinda like a smooth black. However i seen a few stands that are just PAINTED black and they really dont look the greatest. I wonder if thats cuase they actually used wood and the others used particle board?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Professionally built furniture is spray coated with lacquer normally, if it isn't just covered with a plastic film. And, using a particle board with a good filler material does make getting a nice smooth finish easier, but sprayed lacquer is just a smoother finish than anything done with a brush or roller. You can use a laminate glued to the surface, like laminate covered countertops or desk tops, and get the same type of finish, but it is more expensive to do and harder to do than painting. Doing it well requires a trim router too.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im thinking of just satin black kinda like ur standard computer desk finish. I dont want it to be flashy, cause the focaus is going to be the tank.

I think i decided to do 2x3 framing, wrapped with 1/4'' mdf. The top and bottom will be probably pine and will match the shape of the tank. Seal up all seams and paint.

The door is another story, ill figure it out once its built. If i get really lazy ill velcrow a door on LMAO! Going to pick up materials tomorrow.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i sanded the plywood, and used wood filler. if i wasn't so lazy it would look even better. but its still looks very nice. I used an oil based paint, a primer coat and a color coat, rolled on.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the color is a satin black. and no pics of the hinges just a piano hinge with the pin part of the hinge extending a little bit further then the door and side.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tip and the help. I started my stand last night, I had almost everything cut and I was wondering why the corners wernt meeting perfectly. Found out my miter saw wasnt calibrated so it was off on both angles, so i had to shead a few mm off my design to fix it lol.

Turned out good, Had an issue joining the bottom base to the vertical 2x3's (they arent really that size though lol) but found that glue and 90 degree heavey duty brackets would be fine. I sat on the stand and twisted myself and wiggled it does not budge hehe.

Its a really high stand though. Perfect for what I wanted it for.

So far I belive i spent like $60ish.

going to be finishing the skin later today

1 - 20 of 27 Posts