The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Just ruminating on how to build a hood for my 2.5g. I have an all-glass tank and managed to get my paws on a cheap Coralife Mini (2x9w).

I know a lot of people prefer to jerry-rig legs onto them, but I have a betta and keep to keep him inside the tank. I have seen the Perfecto acrylic lids that some people sit the light on top of, but I am worried about overheating the tank.

Has anyone devised a way to make a hood for such a setup? My initial plans involve copying the hood-part of my other tanks so that the light fixture can sit on top and I can have a little door for feeding Lou Reed his favorite snacks.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to take lots of pictures if I figure something out so that anyone else with a similar problem can figure it out from my examples.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would think that a combination of an acrylic or glass (I think all-glass makes a glass top for that tank) with the legs would be the best solution. I agree about keeping the light up off the tank for heat reasons, and those betta do like to jump. I'd put a normal flat top on it and then add some legs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that a combination of an acrylic or glass (I think all-glass makes a glass top for that tank) with the legs would be the best solution. I agree about keeping the light up off the tank for heat reasons, and those betta do like to jump. I'd put a normal flat top on it and then add some legs.

How do you feed with that sort of setup? I have seen the acrylic lids you are talking about, but only in the U.S. (I'm north of the border). Maybe I could make my own door with a hinge, provided I found one that won't rust...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey Kelly, welcom to TPT, from another lower-mainlander (check my little avitar/picture thingy to see where I'm from <---- ).
You could check Island Pets (formerly Big-Als), or on www.bcaquaria.com in the classifieds section (this site is good, as its BC, and mainly, the greater vancouver area based).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Kelly, welcom to TPT, from another lower-mainlander (check my little avitar/picture thingy to see where I'm from <---- ).
You could check Island Pets (formerly Big-Als), or on www.bcaquaria.com in the classifieds section (this site is good, as its BC, and mainly, the greater vancouver area based).

Haha! I knew I recognised that name from BC aquaria! I actually got the light from the classifieds, but it seems that few companies make an actual canopy to fit 2.5gs... I'm in Maple Ridge so Island Pets is a bit far but who knows-- I need to check it out!

·
Registered
646 Posts
sorry im no help with your hood, but i just had to comment when i saw your betta's name is lou reed- i have been trying to remember that name for like a week! haha i love it :)

"hey babe, take a walk on the wild side..."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry im no help with your hood, but i just had to comment when i saw your betta's name is lou reed- i have been trying to remember that name for like a week! haha i love it :)

"hey babe, take a walk on the wild side..."
And he has a zebra-snail friend named Brian Cale. Glad someone around here can appreciate good music!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.