The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research on ideas of how to build a tank stand. I am most likely going to buy 2x4's

I will make 2 rectangles with a center brace, and lay them in the horizontal position, and then attach 6 supports or 'legs'.

Pretty much like the pictures in this link...(mahamotorworks tank stand)
DIY Tank Stand Plans - MyFishTank.Net

According to those pictures, the legs are slightly shorter than the 2x4 rectangles, I am guessing so that the plywood can lay on the 2x4's lengthwise, and not directly on the legs, so it is more even.

So that means that the screws are holding a lot of weight. Even if you put several screws in each joint, would it be strong enough to hold 800-900 lbs?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
98 Posts
To answers you Questions. Yes the 70+, 2 1/2in screws hold the weight. I have not had a problem with the tank and stand. It has been running for 4 months now. I have measured and nothing has moved. It is very solid.

If you follow the thread on MFT.net you will see how it is assembled.

If you have any other questions let me know.

MAHA

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I built my stand for my 75 gallon this is how I did it.

I built them like walls.

Bottom:
I layed the 2x4s flat and cut the corners at 45 degree angles for better fit, added 2x4s every 16 inches (flat) for support. Nailed it together and then put 1/2 inch plywood over it so i'd have a shelf underneath.

I then did the same thing again for the bottom support, except I didn't add plywood or middle supports.

From this I added my 2x4 supports on each corner( doubled ) and every 16 inches or so to fill in the middle of the walls.
Then the top 2x4 was also flat and corner cut, with middle supports flat.. On the sides I also added 2x4s in the corners and nailed them to the existing corner posts from the front and back walls.

Then I added my plwood to the top.

The 2x4s being flat gives more surface for the tank to sit on rather then the small area if the 2x4s were sitting up.

The stands so solid that adding plywood to the sides,front/back aren't neccessary excpet for cosmetic looks. I just use a white tablecloth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks maha and ice.

I've looked at many threads on building a stand, and I think yours (MAHA) looks the sturdiest and very simple to build.

Ice, you do have a good point about laying them flat. I was planning on adding plywood top to it, but maybe I don't need to if I lay them flat. I dunno, I still have to sketch my idea and think about it a bit more

thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
If your worried about it being strong enough, cut some 2x4's to fit between the two rectangles. Like IceH20 said, it will double the legs, the weight of the aquarium will not rest completely on the screws.

Two weeks ago I built a stand for my new 75, similar to what your thinking about. On mine I didn't put plywood on the top. I don't see the need for it, since the tank only rest on the edges. But it wouldn't hurt anything.

good luck!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Predrilling is always a good idea when screwing stuff together. That way it is much easier to drive the screws. I predrill even when using dry wall screws as structural fasteners. It is also a good idea to glue the pieces together, driving the screws with the glue wet. That way you aren't depending on the screws to hold the weight. You can use the yellow carpenters glue that is available everywhere, or even the white version.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I believe I have a blueprint for the 75 I built at work, I'll look it up on Monday & post it here, if I still have it! That might help...

Here's a pic of one of the 75's I have built.

Steve X.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The 2x4s being flat gives more surface for the tank to sit on rather then the small area if the 2x4s were sitting up.
Dont forget most tanks have frames that are only a couple inches wide so any wider support isnt necessary. I think having the 2x4's parallel with the length of the tank like in the first post link would provide better support from the tank leaning side-to-side. I made my stand extra tall and even though made for a 40g tank, I later modified it to fit the deeper 75g tank.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys.

i have already started. I finished cutting the wood today, and I put together the top and bottom rectangle frames.

I think I did a really good job with the cutting, the rectangles fit great, there is a slight lift on one side of the rectangles when i lay it flat, but I am not to worried about that once 800 or so lbs. sits on top of it, flattening it out.

aquamanx, I read all over the itnernet about people recommending angle supporters, and after you mentioned it again, I think I will decide to use them. It can't hurt to spend a bit more cash and make it as safe as possible.
Funny thing is, I know this stand is gonna be a beast and the store bought ones do not even compare to DIY stands

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.