The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to save some money but still have good glass, so I'm using the inspiration from another member's success and planning to get an offer from the local glass company.

Would anyone be willing to measure the dimensions of the glass panes of a 60cm tank that they have (ADA 60-P for example)? I know the glass thickness, I just don't know the exact dimensions of the panes...Thanks in advance if anyone can do this for me.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have so far is this:

Front and back panes = 24"x14", .25" thickness ea
Side panes = 12"x14", .25" thickness ea

Side panes are sandwiched between the front and back panes. Assuming the sandwich preserves the original width of the side panels (12") and makes the front panel LOSE .5" (.25"x2 for 2 side panes) from its original length (24"). This results in trimming .5" off of the glass pane which is to be the bottom.

Bottom pane = 23.5"x12" to fit inside of the remaining space.

The tank will be assembled based on Taari's method.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
thats not a cube.
If you want a 60cm (24'') cube: with .25'' glass;

front and back: 24x23.75
sides: 23.5x 23.75
bottom 24x24

easy
ur welcome ;)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, ADA has it listed as a "Cube Garden"...fail terminology on their part. I want to re-create a 60-P. 24"x12"x14". Also, your dimensions confuse me...how would you assemble the tank?

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Well, ADA has it listed as a "Cube Garden"...fail terminology on their part. I want to re-create a 60-P. 24"x12"x14".
I think rectangular prism garden just didn't ring well. I think someone made one himself well it was like a 90P on this forum let me see if I can find it. The tools necessary are pretty sophisticated but I think you can jury rig something. IMO if you don't already have the tools it's cheaper to buy the tank yourself. Also freshcut class is sharp!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think rectangular prism garden just didn't ring well. I think someone made one himself well it was like a 90P on this forum let me see if I can find it. The tools necessary are pretty sophisticated but I think you can jury rig something. IMO if you don't already have the tools it's cheaper to buy the tank yourself. Also freshcut class is sharp!
My grandfather has an entire set of clamps used for making things like cabinets and such...I think they'd work pretty well. The local glass shop should cut the glass I need as well, I just need to call them for a quote tomorrow. Would love to see that tank btw. :D

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well, ADA has it listed as a "Cube Garden"...fail terminology on their part. I want to re-create a 60-P. 24"x12"x14". Also, your dimensions confuse me...how would you assemble the tank?
Front and back extend atop the long edges of the bottom glass, sides extend atop the short edges of the bottom glass and between the front and back.

ETA: It's not at all hard to build a tank from glass and silicone, especially a small one like this. It's rather more tricky to get it all looking nice and square and having tidy seams. That's where the work and tools come into play.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
With tape and silicone ;)
Its not that hard if you take your time and have patience.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Noticed something today....it's actually cheaper to just buy an ADA 60-P than make one myself. *sigh* I guess the margin for creating your tank vs just buying one doesn't start until you start talking larger tanks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.