The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I am working on setting up a 29g tank. I know I want a fully automatic Co2 system. My question is, if it were you, what would you use... What are your fav brands of regulators, etc.... I don't want any DIY stuff... cause I'm rather challenged in that department... Have fun with this you guys... build your dream Co2 system for me. :tongue:

I know I will basically need the stuff below... am I missing anything?
Regulator w/ built in bubble counter
Solenoid
PH Controller
External probe holder
External Reactor
Co2 tubing
Check valve
5lb cylinder

·
Registered
470 Posts
Since we're talking "dream" systems, I'd love to replace my solenoid, bubble counter, and needle valve with one of these gizmos. If I ever have a spare $270 lying about, I might just get one too. :smile:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. I've been researching for awhile. I'm not sure what brands are good, and what are not.... I'm not lazy, I just really don't know what I'm doing and wanted some opinions from people that know a lot more than me. And its not that I have money to burn, I just want to get this right from the very start.... saving me money in the long run.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
sounds like a nice package from GLA would do the trick..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what I have been looking at.... but I want the best I can get....

Regulator – Milwaukee MA957
PH Controller – Milwaukee SMS122
External Probe Mount – CarbonDoser External Probe Mount
External Reactor – Aqua Medic External CO2 Reactor 1000
CO2 Tubing – 10 feet
Check Valve - ITSA CO2 Spring Check Valve
5 lb CO2 Cylinder

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
No. I've been researching for awhile. I'm not sure what brands are good, and what are not.... I'm not lazy, I just really don't know what I'm doing and wanted some opinions from people that know a lot more than me. And its not that I have money to burn, I just want to get this right from the very start.... saving me money in the long run.
understandable :)

Here is what I have been looking at.... but I want the best I can get....

Regulator – Milwaukee MA957
PH Controller – Milwaukee SMS122
External Probe Mount – CarbonDoser External Probe Mount
External Reactor – Aqua Medic External CO2 Reactor 1000
CO2 Tubing – 10 feet
Check Valve - ITSA CO2 Spring Check Valve
5 lb CO2 Cylinder
stay away from milwaukee regs. if i could do it again i'd purchase a finished co2 reg from someone here.

but you want to focus on getting a dual stage regulator, not a single like the milwaukee. I have an air products and, now, a victor (huge beast!).

there was a thread somewhere regarding what parts are better... you'll need a good metering valve and good solenoid if you want to turn co2 on and off. building a reactor is easy and cheaper, look up cerges for the easiest to build style! i built one and it works amazingly well.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have been debating back and forth about CO2 and now like you Laura trying to find a setup that I don't have to go back and buy more because I went cheap the first time. I'm thinking more towards getting one from a member here than somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What exactly is the difference between a dual and single stage regulator?

Is something like this best GLA Ultimate Co2 System it comes with a dual stage regulator found here
the story goes like this...

co2 tanks sometimes have the tendency to purge once their pressure drops "close to empty". 200ish psi.

a single stage will dump this co2 b/c it can't handle the pressure. a dual stage can handle the pressure and will keep on trucking along.

not to mention a used dual stage reg costs much less than a new single stage. much much less.

and that link you posted, the "ultimate" def doesnt come with the dual stage regulator you posted.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
building a reactor is easy and cheaper, look up cerges for the easiest to build style! i built one and it works amazingly well.
The OP said they weren't interested in DIY.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The OP said they weren't interested in DIY.
a cerges style reactor is insanely simple to put together as most of the work is already done. it's simple enough to be worth mentioning to someone who is "DIY challenged" and perhaps having success with such a simple DIY project may boost her confidence with DIY and result in her attempting other DIY projects.

since you're so adamant about her mentioning "no diy", i'll help out more; here's the link to the DIY thread that i used when building mine

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/110100-cerges-reactor-diy-inline-co2-reactor.html

for reference you don't need all those parts... just find the 3/4" to 1/2" thread to barb in the hose section of your local hardware giant and you're good to go. the hardest part is cutting the pvc to length and gluing it in place.

i never grabbed a picture of mine, but once it's set up on my 20g i'll post it in that thread. i replaced that with a larger griggs style reactor that i'm still trouble shooting ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dual stage reg, Ideal/Fabco/Swagelok NV, Burkert solenoid. I would look at buying one custom built from a member on here, you will get more for your money. I personally believe pH controllers are an unnecessary expense, I recommend just putting the solenoid on a timer.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I wouldn't say I was really adamant about it, I just mentioned it. But, there is an odd theme on this forum where people have a hard time accepting the idea that some people don't want to DIY.

It doesn't matter how easy it is if someone isn't interested. And all of these '15 minute' claims to build reactors don't really have the ring of truth. If someone has never done this kind of DIY work it will always take more time than that, even just to get the parts!

And you mentioned in your above post that you are 'still troubleshooting' your rg reactor - that's the kind of thing that is usually avoiding by buying a ready-made-product. Another factor is how much someone values their time and money - for many people, spending an hour to save $30 isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Seriously Laura, if you want the best, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT get a milwaukee regulator, or any other single stage regulator. I can build you a dual stage regulator with the best parts and it will last forever, and it will be cheaper than GLA. You won't ever have to worry about the end-of-tank-dump.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I wouldn't say I was really adamant about it, I just mentioned it. But, there is an odd theme on this forum where people have a hard time accepting the idea that some people don't want to DIY.

It doesn't matter how easy it is if someone isn't interested. And all of these '15 minute' claims to build reactors don't really have the ring of truth. If someone has never done this kind of DIY work it will always take more time than that, even just to get the parts!

And you mentioned in your above post that you are 'still troubleshooting' your rg reactor - that's the kind of thing that is usually avoiding by buying a ready-made-product. Another factor is how much someone values their time and money - for many people, spending an hour to save $30 isn't worth it.
i didn't mention the rg initially because its more involved. the cerges is really very simple and quick to do.

She can do what she wants, obviously, but it's worth educating someone any chance you get as far as i'm concerned. And as far as i can tell from this, she's not interested in DIY b/c she thinks its too difficult for her. If i can submit to her an easy DIY to cut her teeth on... i will :) whether or not she falls for my cunning plan remains to be seen

1 - 20 of 43 Posts