The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a 16g planted tank (33.85" x 9.84" x 11", rimless), and I need to pick a light. I'm going for high light, dirt + carpeted, with injected CO2. I've done Finnex before, but had issues with condensation destroying the light and the remotes just not working very well. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The cheapest option is probably a Beamswork DA FSPEC. A more expensive and better light all around would be a Twinstar E model. You would either need to go short with a 60cm light or long with a 90cm light. An off the wall solution would be two Asta 20 Freshwater lights. You might want 3, but I suspect you could get away pretty well with 2.

There are MANY other options out there, but these are all good options at different price ranges and styles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cheapest option is probably a Beamswork DA FSPEC. A more expensive and better light all around would be a Twinstar E model. You would either need to go short with a 60cm light or long with a 90cm light. An off the wall solution would be two Asta 20 Freshwater lights. You might want 3, but I suspect you could get away pretty well with 2.

There are MANY other options out there, but these are all good options at different price ranges and styles.
The Asta lights are really interesting... I've never used a spot light like that for aquatics. On a long tank like this I'd almost definitely go for 3. Are there any significant up or down sides to them?

I know I said I'm not a huge fan, but what about something like a Finnex Fugeray Planted?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but what is the purpose of the Twinstar light being so high above the tank?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but what is the purpose of the Twinstar light being so high above the tank?
A brighter life, raised higher, will give you more even lighting levels throughout the depth of the tank. If you have to put your light very close to the water to get proper par to the substrate, you'll have extremely high par at the upper levels of the tank. A stronger light raised higher can help mitigate this.

The Asta lights are really interesting... I've never used a spot light like that for aquatics. On a long tank like this I'd almost definitely go for 3. Are there any significant up or down sides to them?

I know I said I'm not a huge fan, but what about something like a Finnex Fugeray Planted?
I think you'd want 3. I've got one on an 11x11 tank and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of spill over. 1 upside is that I don't think there is a non-pendant/single source point light that fits your tank. Your either going to be short or hanging over the ends. Another upside is with separate lights you can direct more or less light to certain areas. I have some buce and anubius up high in my tank on top of some rocks. I keep those lights turned down a bit when compared to the ones that are lighting plants that are deeper. It's kind of nice that they come with their own gooseneck mounts. It also comes with a supplemental lens but I remember the light being a little uneven when I tried it. You said you wanted simple on and off. It's got a built in dimmer. Just adjust and put them on a timer. It's a fairly bright light. I get enough light in the bottom of my low tech 5 gal Marineland Portrait tank and it's 17" deep and I think I only have it turned up 1/2-3/4 power.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts

I had one on my fluval spec v for a couple of years. I think for the price its the nicest light available for the area they light. They don't have a fan in them either unlike a lot of other pendant lights so they are silent.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
If your price range is around $200 to $220, and you'd be fine with a 60cm long light, I recommend Chihiros WRGB 2. It's an amazing light that competes with much higher price ranged lights imo. It comes with an app controller as well that lets you set up light schedules and ramps and color. The downside is, you'd probably have to buy it from Ebay since it's direct from China right now. I know some US specialty shops are starting to sell them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.