The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these bugs that look very similar to baby shrimp. at first when I saw these things I thought they were baby shrimp. does anyone know what im talking about? I cant get a picture bc they are way too small. they are a greenish / clear color too

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
They're carnivorous larvae of damselflies. Be happy you didn't get a dragonfly nymph. Those are huge and disgusting.

and...
Just for the record scuds = amphipods.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
are damselfly nymphs bad? i took out 15 already. where do they come from?

Sounds like a damselfly laid eggs in your tank. Did you receive any plants recently? Put anything from an outdoor water source into your tank (Rocks, plants, wood, water, sand). Is your tank open to the outside? Have you left the doors open on accident recently? Damselflies are like dragonflies but smaller and their larvae aren't as carnivorous (but they are still a danger to shrimp).

Kill them if you believe they came from a non native source. Otherwise return them where you got them from. Damsels eat mosquitos!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.