The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
They look like seed shrimp. Fish will eat them or you can do regular substrate vacuuming to minimize waste and the vermin at the same time. I believe they eat healthy plants, but I haven't witnessed this first hand. A couple Rasboras will diminish the population. These seem to be quite common in shrimp tanks and a ton of people just let them go since they don't kill shrimp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have these in my turtle tank -- they're scuds/amphipods (whatever you want to call them). The ones in the picture are likely detrivores, eating whatever detritus they can find around the tank. See all the brown stuff under the surface of your gravel? That's food to them, which is why you have such a high population density. They won't do anything to the shrimp, but you should siphon your gravel mostly because the detritus can kill your shrimp if it is disturbed and enters the water column. But the amphipods are harmless to shrimp in my experience. No worries! Just try not to let food/plants decay in your tank.

·
Registered
533 Posts
They look like seed shrimp. Fish will eat them or you can do regular substrate vacuuming to minimize waste and the vermin at the same time. I believe they eat healthy plants, but I haven't witnessed this first hand. A couple Rasboras will diminish the population. These seem to be quite common in shrimp tanks and a ton of people just let them go since they don't kill shrimp.
Yep. They are seed shrimp aka as ostracods. They seem to pop up only in my shrimp tank too. Maybe cause there are no fish in my shrimp tanks?

Check it out here.

http://stormiidae.blogspot.com/p/the-unexpected.html

·
Registered
782 Posts
Catch 22. When they run out of a food supply, they WILL eat plants, fry, shrimp, mystery snails, and each other.
They are opportunists.
Keep them fed, they reproduce at an alarming rate, and foul your tank.
Starve them; you starve your shrimp.

A community fish tank will keep them in check or even eradicate them.
Shrimp/snail only tank-outlook not so good.
If you put fish to get rid of them, that compromises the shrimp.

My experiences with them, anyhoo.
(Not with shrimp, but snails and plants. Had to nuke the tank.)

-Stef*

·
Registered
274 Posts
^^ I believe he was referring to scuds. I've never heard of seed shrimp bothering anything. It appears the thread has 2 identifications going on - one as seed shrimp, the other as possible scuds. I think if we had a little bit better close-up, we could tell more easily. FWIW, I've never had a scud infestation as bad as the picture is showing. I'm inclined to guess that they are seed shrimp, but I am looking at the pic on my phone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i believe theyre seed shrimp. They tend to stay on the bottom. Should i remove all my shrimp to a holding tank and get some guppies to get rid of them?? Or should i just redo my tank

·
Registered
25 Posts
I nuked my tank for 3 days with co2, which seemed to have killed them all, then they appeared again, prolific as ever, a month later. These things must feed on biofilm too 'cause I hardly feed my tank anything. Thinking about putting some fish in temporarily now...

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had scuds. They ate all the fronds off my Moss, and chewed on any fresh leaves coming out of Crypts as well as my stem plants. I also read that Scuds will attack and kill shrimp right after they Molt.

I bleached my tank to rid myself of them. I have my fingers crossed that it worked.

Whiskey

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a pretty heavy seed shrimp population in my shrimp only tank. Kind of looked like tiny crazy jumping beans. Got a couple of small rainbows (pseudomagil), and they pretty much eliminated them within a week. Shrimp still did fine, although I'm sure they ate some of the babies, I still had some making it through to adulthood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.