The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out with pest snails, pond and MTSs. I got a dwarf puffer that took care of the pond snails. The MTSs eventually spread out over all my tanks, which currently number 19. I did not mind them as they are good to have. At some point I ended up with detritus worms, small wriggly things that look like tiny water snakes, free floating in the water column. They usually are not noticable except right after a water change. They cause no harm to fish and many small schooling fish as well as goldfish love them. About 4 years ago I decided that I have too many MTSs so I got some assassin snails. They were breeding really good for me and even so I sold many to club members I recently found myself short of MTSs. When this happened I suddenly noticed planaria for the first time in my 12 years of fish keeping. I absolutely hate those things and believe that they are harmful to shrimp as I have seen more shrimp deaths since they showed up than before. I believe that they are a direct result of the smaller number of MTSs as MTSs would compete for the same food planaria eat. So now I am breeding my assassins in only one tank and let the MTSs have a good time in the other tanks at least until they get out of hand again. It is hard to find the balance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes!!! I just saw planaria in one of my tanks (trying to figure out how to feed a nerite snail and some amanos and I clearly over fed...). I would love to get some MTS, but I'm scared to have an explosion of them! Assassin snails are not much of an option for me because of the nerites....

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
at least it seems you ended up with a good way to keep both the MTS and assassin snails in check now.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Yes!!! I just saw planaria in one of my tanks (trying to figure out how to feed a nerite snail and some amanos and I clearly over fed...). I would love to get some MTS, but I'm scared to have an explosion of them! Assassin snails are not much of an option for me because of the nerites....
some people just turn on a light after 1-2 hours of darkness and scoop out any extra MTS in the tank. Good way to keep them in check.

·
Registered
85 Posts
some people just turn on a light after 1-2 hours of darkness and scoop out any extra MTS in the tank. Good way to keep them in check.
This is a somewhat gross question, but that means it goes with the topic....

I have discovered that at least small pond snails are very easy to squish. Their shells just aren't very hard (at least in my water/tanks). It looks like it would be much harder to squish a MTS, however. Is that true? What do you do with them after you scoop them out???

Leah

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assassin snails will not go after nerites. I have nerites in my assassin snail breeding tank and they do fine. MTS shells are hard to crush. I used to flush them down the toilet, sold them on AB or gave them away, but recently I saw them go for good money on AB. Maybe I am not the only one with an MTS deficiency.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
This is a somewhat gross question, but that means it goes with the topic....

I have discovered that at least small pond snails are very easy to squish. Their shells just aren't very hard (at least in my water/tanks). It looks like it would be much harder to squish a MTS, however. Is that true? What do you do with them after you scoop them out???

Leah
I used to just throw them away after. Their shells are indeed quite hard. You don't have to crush them completely, just the soft parts so they fall onto the bottom. Then shrimps or other snails will clean out the shell.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assassins eat meaty type fish food but won't breed until prey snails are available again, or so I have read. I never ran out of prey snails completely yet. But I did see them eat brine shrimp sticks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.