The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed tiny yellow bug like creatures on my duckweed during my regular water change. I have a general rule that I don't like anything with more than four legs so I'm paranoid that these little critters will migrate out of my tank and take over my apartment. Extreme I know. What are they and how do I get rid of them? After zooming in to take the picture I want to scoop out my duckweed and hopefully kill them that way... If that'll work I'd happily sacrifice the plant .
Thanks in advance

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Looks like aphids. Got any fish that might eat them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried convincing my Betta but if it's not a pellet he won't eat them.... Even tried pointing with my finger like I do when he can't find his pellet among the duckweed. He looked at me like I was nuts.

If they are aphids, how do I get rid of them? If I remove the duckweed will I get rid of them too? And how did I get them in my tank? It's -40 outside! And all potting soil sits on the balcony for 72 hours before getting opened....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep aphids (hate those guys), if you remove all the duckweed and floaters you should get rid of them, they aren't aquatic, so if there are no leaves/plants exposed to air they can feed on they'll be gone shortly even if you don't get every single one of them by removing the plants they're on. They're not fast so just tossing the plants ought to get most if not all of them anyway. As long as you don't have houseplants that could be harboring them as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have house plants! How do I keep them from migrating?

I just inspected my plants and I don't see any visible bugs. I'd really prefer not to toss these plants!

P.S. The plant debris on the table got knocked off the plants when j inspected them... Otherwise they're healthy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you're not seeing any then they're probably fine, just keep an eye on the houseplants (it's good to check them over occasionally anyway) if you do see aphids on those you can take them to the sink or shower and just give everything above soil level a nice hard rinse from the faucet, angling the pots so the water runs off the leaves and into the sink, if the water has any force it'll wash the aphids right off and down the drain.

I'd just suggest tossing the floating plants (but not the houseplants!) because there's no good way to wash them off and be sure no bugs ended up stuck between a leaf and was sheltered from being washed away to come back later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Floating plants are going and Amazon swords are getting a trim.

Then I'm thinking of keeping a towel over the tank for the next day or two until I'm sure they're gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks! Floating plants are going and Amazon swords are getting a trim.

Then I'm thinking of keeping a towel over the tank for the next day or two until I'm sure they're gone.
Welcome! The towel idea sounds like a good one, I've never had this exact situation (just had them on houseplants or in the garden) but I'd bet that'll work fine to keep any that might have been hiding in the tank (around the rim or where ever) contained until they're gone or spotted and squished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.