The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a sand crab looking creature in my wormstrate tank a couple weeks ago, it was near the top if my pebble gravel it appeared to be eating. I thought it was weird but didn't think to much of it. I go to empty my canister filter and I found several of these same identical creatures squirming around. I would appreciate ID just for my own understanding and to see if they are a potential threat. Thank you heres a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Looks like it could be a scud. They are actually related to shrimp and not harmful, just people don't like them in their tanks. Try and suck them out with a turkey baster and cut down on feeding and their population will crash.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Agreed that they are generally harmless, but they will eat moss in addition to leftover food, and if you consistently overfeed they will reproduce like crazy. Dunno what's in the tank, but most larger fish love to eat them...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guppies, rossy barbs, corys, plecos and amanos I have some moss rocks and moss logs actually a good amount of moss. Don't think they will wipe it out or anything? Lol. I have only seen one on the surface. The like burrow in my gravel. And I had like 4 in my canister filter. Weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.