The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Also could be a very small dragonfly naiad--funny that it would be in your tank, because most aquatic insects cannot complete their life cycles in aquariums.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
It could have come with plants if they were grown out-of-doors.

It is probably nothing to worry about. Most aquatic insects will be harmless in aquairums, except for large dragonfly naiads, which can eat fish.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could have come with plants if they were grown out-of-doors.

It is probably nothing to worry about. Most aquatic insects will be harmless in aquairums, except for large dragonfly naiads, which can eat fish.
I found it in the red cherry shrimp tank, it was like 5 times bigger that the shrimplets, so removed it and put it in the other neon tetra tank :biggrin:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is another project, i found this worm with the other california blackworms i bought last time, its about 3'' long, the body is slightly flat. does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The original post is a stonefly nymph. The damselfly nymph has 3 FEATHER shaped gills on the end of it's abdomen. The stonefly has 2 antennae.

When it swims, does it wiggle back and forth and slowly sink? Damselfly nymphs don't use their legs to swim. All of them in the great white north don't, anyways...

There are some other deadly aquatic larva besides dragonfly nymphs... Water beetle larva, backswimmers and giant water bugs all catch and eat small fish. They would be interesting subjects for a small aquarium, I would think. I kept a beetle larva for a few months, but it died because it couldn't pupate.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The original post is a stonefly nymph. The damselfly nymph has 3 FEATHER shaped gills on the end of it's abdomen. The stonefly has 2 antennae.
It has 3 feather shaped gills, i couldn't get clear picture of it.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I found it in the red cherry shrimp tank, it was like 5 times bigger that the shrimplets, so removed it and put it in the other neon tetra tank :biggrin:
Better keep a close count on your fish...

I'd kill it, personally. They're predatory, so it's just a matter of how big it will get and whether or not it can tackle a fully grown tetra.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ooh that worm is weird. Aren't bloodworms just mosquito larvae? All the ones I have purchased by that name were. I've never seen a mosquito larva that big.

·
Registered
567 Posts
mistergreen, that drawing appears to be a tapeworm. I don't think it's a tapeworm, it doesn't look like one and I've never seen one living outside an animal's intestine. As to what it actually is...no idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts