The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of a buffering substrate that is cost effective. I have just setup several tanks so I don't need to spend a fortune on overpriced substrate. Currently I have Fluval Shrimp Stratum and UPAQUA Aqua Sand.

Fluval Shrimp Stratum costs $19 for 4kg
UPAQUA Aqua Sand costs $40 for 5kg

What is a good substrate for both Neos and Caridina shrimp but won't break the bank.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i had really good luck with fluval shrimp stratum. took my tap water from 7.2 to 6 ph. right now for my TB i have ada amazonia

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about how much amazonia will I need for a 48"x18" footprint at about 1-1.5" deep?

My number one goal is shrimp and not plants so my substrate depth can be minimal. I have two frag tanks(48x18x12) that need substrate so it is not going to be cheap.

Any other suggestions?

How about Mr. Aqua substrate or Azoo substrate(I've never used either)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
fluval is your best bet if you want cheap. when i used it with tap water right at the year mark it started breaking down.

ada amazonia isnt to bad really i payed like 17 for 3 liters. shipping cost as much as the substrate since im in oklahoma. that amount did about a 5 gal tank about 2 inches deep with a smig left over.

a good buffering substrate that is going to last is going to cost though so dont skimp if your wanting to keep crs or higher grade shrimp. as for neo's i just use inert pool filter sand and black sand mix. its fine for them. neo's tend to like a ph in the 7 range so i dont bother with a buffering substrate

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I second that. If you are going to buy high grade shrimp like CRS and TBs, then why would you not want to spend the money to give them the best situation. I have seen so many threads where people attempt to keep such shrimp with mediocre substrates and the common result is shrimp that die and shrimp that don't breed. Is there exceptions? Maybe. But know that you will never have the best results as you will with ADA. The fact is there has yet to surface a substrate that works as well as that. At least this is the case in the U.S. There are other options, but not easily acquired in this neck of the world. Don't skimp for your shrimp! I wish you the best if you choose otherwise, but proceed cautiously.

You could easily get by with two bags in a 75. More or less depending on depth of substrate. Also, the less substrate compared to more water amount correlates to shorter life Spanish of your substrate. This can be averted to the best possible scenario, but using only RO water.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You could easily get by with two bags in a 75. More or less depending on depth of substrate.
tanks is only about 45 gallons its only 12 inches high.

depending on what kind of crs you want to use i would say fluval will last as long as you go ro water. i was told that is why mine started turning to mud was because for a year i was using tap water with it. with that said it was not leaching anything just messy if i tried to move anything at all in the tank. i breed s+ grade crs really well in it and it buffered great. took my tap water from 7.2 down to 6 and stayed there. if you were going to go prl or tb i would say ada is the way to go. i just got some for my tb tank and didnt want to chance the FSS with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts