The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a question regarding GH and buffered substrates. Is there a way to raise GH with a buffered substrate, or is my only option to remove the substrate and then remineralize? What's the best way of raising GH alone (my KH is OK)? The only related product I have on hand is GH+ from salty shrimp. More background below:

I am using the fluval shrimp stratum substrate, and as advertised it is acting as a buffer (pH is around 6.5, hard to tell exactly with API test kit, but the water from the tap here is more like 7.5). GH basically 0 dGH (0-1, again API) and KH is about 3-4 dKH.

I used this setup to breed crystal shrimp successfully for a while, but unfortunately the AC broke in my apartment when I was away for a few days and they all died :(
Currently I want to re-start the tank but with cherry shrimps this time. As far as I'm aware they require GH more in the 6-12 dGH range, and my current KH is OK.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't think buffering sub affects gh only kh. I add salty shrimp gh for bee shrimp to add gh in my tank.
Cherries are better with neutral substrate as they don't need lower ph and gh/kh can be higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.