The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my routine has been a little off the last few days - I work in retail and my hours have been wacky. Maybe because the feeding and lighting times have been different has something to do with this, but today I came home from work around 8am (after pulling a 13 hr shift at work for Black Friday) and my Buenos Aires are going nuts! I've never seen this behavior taken to this extreme before - males chasing other males at lighting speed, fish darting in the blink of an eye the full 6 ft length of the tank - males driving the females hard. It looks like an aerial dogfight in there. The are chasing the Columbian tetras when they get near, too - but leaving the smaller tetra species alone.

I took a crappy vid that I may or may not post, depends how bad it is (daylight causing massive reflections). If it's still going on tonight I'll get a much better vid. I'm due for a water change today, but parameters aren't too bad - zero ammonia, zero nitrites, but too high on nitrates (40) but I dosed some Prime yesterday to tide me over until I could get to the w/c today. Can it be hormones, or bad water? (the other fish are normal & calm). Is it just the typical boisterous Buenos behavior I've read so much about but haven't seen?

I'd love to hear from anyone that's kept them. btw, they are about two and 1/2 yrs old, full grown.

ok, you may not be able to see anything really, but here is the reflection-laden vid - maybe you can see the darting fish? One or two do this on occasion, but all of them? This is a first...

http://s1352.beta.photobucket.com/user/coatfetish/media/VIDEO0056.mp4.html

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right after I posted that, I went ahead and did my routine water change and they went right back to "normal" calm and schooling behavior with the Columbians. I guess it was just a case of the friskies - lol.
By the end, three males at a time were hard driving the females - to the point the females would duck down to the bottom, rest on the the substrate hiding under plant leaves, huffing & puffing - I worried they could be pushed to collapse. Then they'd dash out for another chase. One male was busy chasing after all the fish that got near his new found territory - all in all, I think it was just some hormone-driven thing.
Thanks for asking! And I will keep a close eye out for spots, just in case...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.