The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Technially, fish can see blue and while it looks best, it doesn't give them total darkness. Whether they NEED darkness or not is up for discussion...

Christmas lights would be rather bright, in comparison to typical moonlights. I use LED lights that came with a transformer from ebay. Just make sure to look for ones that are wide angle and not narrow spots. Made that mistake once...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was looking to do something with LED's but it just seems to be a hassle. But i do like the idea of using computer parts, that would make it a lot easier. I just need to find a 12v Transformer.

·
Banned
22 Posts
You may want to look for cold cathode lighting. It's a bit smoother looking and won't give you the beam effect. You can find those at the same computer supply sites as the ones previously mentioned.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You may want to look for cold cathode lighting. It's a bit smoother looking and won't give you the beam effect. You can find those at the same computer supply sites as the ones previously mentioned.
Cold cathode would work too, but I'd like to point out that you do not get the beam effect if the LEDs are spaced close together and they span the length of the tank.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
As an idea/experiment: I bought a 16ft Blue rope light on the net for 9.99 + 5.00 shipping. It's already in a waterproof tubing, all I have to do is mount it and turn it on.

Unfortunately I'm not at a point where I can see the results yet (DIY canopy not finished).

Just turning it on and holding it over the tank produces some nice results, once I finally get it setup check out my 240G journal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.