The Planted Tank Forum banner

Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal

31762 Views 383 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  AquaPlantsAquarium
Alright. It is finally time to start my 75 gallon low tech low light peaceful community densely planted aquarium.(What a mouth full)!

And it's all on a budget of 500 dollars.

So far I only have my stand, but I will soon start adding more and more to it until it is complete.

As for equipment, I will have:

1. Polar aurora 4 stage 525 GPH canister filter with built it 5 watt UV sterilizer.(and replacement media) $90.63

2. Boxtech submersible 300 watt heater with guard. $32.99

3. Aquaeffects model 2.(It would be wiser to go with the 48" nicrew light, but this one has sound effects so.....) $93.97

4. Segarty 6 in 1 aquascape tool set. $29.99

All this costs about $250 on amazon.

The nicrew LED is half the price as the aquaeffects, but also half as awesome. The aquaeffects has a built in dimmer, timer, 5+ different light and sound modes, etc.

The stand was on sale for $160. It is made of particle board so I would go with higher quality if possible, but that would be far more expensive.
141 - 160 of 384 Posts

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
As a planted tank newbie myself, I can only speak to what's worked well for me. Haven't tried corkscrew vals, but my jungle val has taken off and has leaves across the top of the tank. Definitely an easy plant for me. I've got an "Aflame" sword that's doing well and putting out new red leaves, so that's another easy one.

As others have pointed out, be careful with the duckweed--that stuff can easily take over if you're not careful. And don't let it get into your other tanks--all it takes is a tiny bit from a net, water siphon, whatever to infest another tank with the stuff......
So swords are okay to put in a new tank? I am about to place an order. I need answers ASAP.

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I guess the silicone wasn't enough because the cork bark is now floating in the tank. How do I solve this? I already have anubias superglued to them.

· Registered
2,340 Posts
Only way I’ve found to use cork like that is to epoxy glue big slate or stones on bottom as weight, let glue cure completely then completely water log it by putting it in bucket and slowly raising water level in bucket so air can evacuate through pores of cork as you slowly raise water level in bucket, takes about a week. You’ll be there for months trying to get it to sink if you completely dunk it in water and seal all that air inside the pore structure of the cork. There’s a reason why they use cork as a float. As you have seen it can exert a considerable lift force underwater, enough to rip silicone right off the glass.

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Thank you @Desert Pupfish. @DaveKS, I had a brilliant idea. I wedges them between the lip on the top of the tank rim and the substrate. They can't go anywhere and I can easily change the hardscape around.

· Administrator
18,188 Posts
Nah. Said not to add plants that are on the expensive side unless you're sure your tank won't melt them or burn them up. Didn't mean to confuse you.

It's just that if you have high ammonia concentrations (which we sometimes do when initially cycling tanks), you run the risk of burning some plants - even if you're an experienced aquarist. As long as you aren't absolutely flooding the tank with ammonia, I think you'll be fine.

Just don't get disappointed if something melts because it'll likely grow back for you.

Bump: Oh and also @somewhatshocked said to not add expensive plants like buce and swords to an immature tank. I was hoping to add swords. Whould that be all right? I don't want them to die.

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
The tank has water!!! I have 3 amazon swords and 1 nymphea rubra on the way. I had a heck of a time priming the filter then did it the old fashioned way. By mouth. I got some tank water in my mouth lol. I am super excited. I will post pics soon. I had to move the cork bark and the heater.

· Administrator
18,188 Posts
If you end up having to remove the cork from your tank entirely, you could probably use it around your tank to mount something like common air plants or a cool orchid. That is - if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Do you plan to add a background to the tank?

Looking forward to see how things look now that you've got it filled up.

I had to move the cork bark and the heater.

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
It is a bit murky from the sand and the light is off. It may be hard to see. Sorry.

Bump: No, I am going without a background.

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Bad news:

My mom already hates the tank. She said it is distracting me from anything else. Keeping it going will be hard enough. Getting more tanks will be nearly impossible(even in my bedroom it looks like).

Bump: One of the first things she said when my dad got home from work today:'Anthony has been obsessed with that stupid tank and won't do anything else'.

Bump: We have this huge party happening on Saturday(boooo I hate lot's of people) and we need to do all our chores really well. I already did but my brothers are slacking and I am paying for it.

· Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,368 Posts
Heh. Parents. But speaking as a 3rd party outsider with no skin on the matter, just by gauging your posts and threads, you do seem to be going through the initial obsession phase. I see you flitting all over my timelines. We all probably did it at varying degrees when we first joined or discovered the hobby so I'm not criticizing. Glad to have you around, but your mom has a point. Just reminding you that there IS a life away from this forum and this hobby. Don't forget to live it too!

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Heh. Parents. But speaking as a 3rd party outsider with no skin on the matter, just by gauging your posts and threads, you do seem to be going through the initial obsession phase. I see you flitting all over my timelines. We all probably did it at varying degrees when we first joined or discovered the hobby so I'm not criticizing. Glad to have you around, but your mom has a point. Just reminding you that there IS a life away from this forum and this hobby. Don't forget to live it too!
Ohhh yes I know. She does have a point. And I do have a life outside this forum and the hobby: FORTNITE!! Just kidding. I don't play that game to often. And I really truly do have a life outside the hobby. I have lot's of friends, lots of wins in Fortnite(kidding again. I suck at it), my friends are all busy though and I know I spend more time on this forum than I really should. Sigh. I also have a lot of time on my hands this summer. And I am obsessed with the hobby. Just wait till the MTS gets really bad. That will be insane. I have good grades, good friends, I like to catch fish, keep fish, eat fish,(weird combo). And paint pictures of fish occasionally. And camp and hike. And read.

Bump: This forum is a way for me to......decompress I guess. Talk to people who share my interest in fishkeeping. A place to get away from my brothers.

Bump: And I have to think about my future. Just under 5 years till I am officially an adult. I will need to get a job in the next couple years. It's scary.

· Registered
148 Posts
"Bad news:

My mom already hates the tank. She said it is distracting me from anything else. Keeping it going will be hard enough. Getting more tanks will be nearly impossible(even in my bedroom it looks like).

Bump: One of the first things she said when my dad got home from work today:'Anthony has been obsessed with that stupid tank and won't do anything else'."

Hey, just a shot in the dark, but, is your mom into gardening? If so, there's nothing better to water the plants with than nitrate rich aquarium water. I water my hanging porch plants and my veggie garden out back with my 5 gallon water jugs that I use to change the water with. Maybe if you show an interest in her plants, she might warm up to your new hobby.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Speaking as a parent, it can be very concerning when your child is consumed by something to the point of obsession.

It's going to be a while still until the tank is ready for fish and whatnot, you are at the hurry up and wait period. To curb her frustration, going 2-3 days without really messing with it or spending a whole lot of time on it can really go a long way in helping her with her negative perception regarding this tank.

Trust me, it's not going anywhere, and it's better to just wait out the cycle anyway.

· Banned
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Speaking as a parent, it can be very concerning when your child is consumed by something to the point of obsession.

It's going to be a while still until the tank is ready for fish and whatnot, you are at the hurry up and wait period. To curb her frustration, going 2-3 days without really messing with it or spending a whole lot of time on it can really go a long way in helping her with her negative perception regarding this tank.

Trust me, it's not going anywhere, and it's better to just wait out the cycle anyway.
Right now I am playing the waiting game. After I get all the plants I will have to go 6 months without fish:(. We are leaving for 2 weeks in December and I need to start saving anyways. The only thing I will be doing with the tank then is fertilizing, trimming, very little maintenance. And at least I am not obsessing over video games. I don't really think I am obsessing over this tank. I did 8 hours of setup and then I am done.

"Bad news:

Bump: One of the first things she said when my dad got home from work today:'Anthony has been obsessed with that stupid tank and won't do anything else'."

Hey, just a shot in the dark, but, is your mom into gardening? If so, there's nothing better to water the plants with than nitrate rich aquarium water. I water my hanging porch plants and my veggie garden out back with my 5 gallon water jugs that I use to change the water with. Maybe if you show an interest in her plants, she might warm up to your new hobby.
Sort of. I water some of her plants occasionally. I will start doing it more though. The problem is that I do water changes mid day or evening and her plants might get burned. That would certainly not help anything.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Right now I am playing the waiting game. After I get all the plants I will have to go 6 months without fish:(. We are leaving for 2 weeks in December and I need to start saving anyways. The only thing I will be doing with the tank then is fertilizing, trimming, very little maintenance. And at least I am not obsessing over video games. I don't really think I am obsessing over this tank. I did 8 hours of setup and then I am done.

Sort of. I water some of her plants occasionally. I will start doing it more though. The problem is that I do water changes mid day or evening and her plants might get burned. That would certainly not help anything.

8 hours of set up, how many hours on forums, reading articles, watching YouTube videos, etc? Parents notice that kind of stuff. I know it sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 384 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.