The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So my whole gallon water jug thing for RODI is getting annoying, mostly it's my inability to multitask while making the water and I'm ending up wasting a lot.

So now I'm thinking of just getting some 5 gallon pails and filling them up, making the water in batches and then rebottling it into the gallons (YAY for funnels)

My question is, will any 5 gallon pail do? I know that a lot of the hardware stores sell them pretty cheaply, I could always get a water cooler one at a local store, but being a college student on a budget I'm looking for the most cost effective method here.

Now that I'm thinking about it, would one of those cheap walmart trash cans work for the job?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Better yet, get a brand new 32g trash can and fill it up. Then use the 5g buckets to ferry it to your tank. I make about 80g of water a week and that is the only way I can do it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I just commented on another thread just like this one, but alas. In most city's you can get a 55 gallon food grade water barrel for $10-$20, they sell for around $15 where I live. This is a good choice to use because they are cheap and extremely sturdy. Your other option would be to go to lowes and buy a food grade Brute trash can, they only hold 32 gallons and will cost around $35-$40 I believe. I currently am using a Brute trash can to store my water, but will be upgrading to two 55 gallon barrels soon so I can have enough water on hand to do all my water changes in a single evening.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Home depot food safe 5 g buckets or brute food safe trash cans
Any idea on the price of them there?

----------------------------

I have to be careful though, I have limited storage space (we live in an apartment) and IDK TBH if I'd be able to fit a 55 gallon drum in here. it needs to be something at most the height of a kitchen sized garbage can

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I've used 5 gallon paint buckets for years. Never had a problem. And yes, they did have paint in them. But I used the paint.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
If you have trouble remembering to shut off your water they sell cheap valves to shut it off when full. I put a water alarm to at the top of my 5g bucket to remind me also. Overflowed a few times lol

-Chris

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey everyone!

Now that I'm thinking about it, would one of those cheap walmart trash cans work for the job?
No. Water is amazing stuff when you start trying to hold large quantities of it. Those cheap thin walled containers seem like they would be fine, but they'll cave in a heartbeat and scare you to no end. You want something made for holding liquid. Brute food safe trash cans, paint buckets, barrels, etc. I was planning to cycle some live rock in sturdy, well-built storage boxes that I got from Costco. Started putting some water in, and just watched them bow on out. These weren't flimsy either, but they were no match for water.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah you should get something like this.

Yep, I have the same set up. My brute food safe garbage can is 42 gallons. The float is awesome. My RODI unit just shuts off when the float shuts it off.

I bought a submersible pond pump to transfer the RODI water. My RODI is in the basement and carrying 5 gallon buckets up a flight of stairs and across the hose is not feasible.

The pump cut my WC time from 1.5 hours to 15 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.