The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of setting up a small container pond in my back patio. I'm thinking about a 2x2x2 stock tank, or perhaps the 2x4 version, but am open to other interesting looking containers--

The problem is I live in Phoenix--summer days up to 115, nights above 90--This will likely only get a few hours of morning sun, but will it get too hot? Maybe a waterfall will help keep the temp down?

Anyone have experience with smaller ponds in this kind of heat?

·
Registered
76 Posts
what means of shade do you have? Any nearby trees? walls or shrubbs? I live in texas witha 22x25x4 pond and have a water fall. The water gets around 80 in the hottest part of the day.

You could have taller water plants in the pond to provide shade or place a power head in there somewhere. There will be evaporation, but nothing you cant handle or refill.

If you can go to some woods, find a hollowed out tree trunk or log, something small..lol , could provide some cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be shaded by a wall. There will probably only be about two hour of direct sun. That being said, it'll be 120 during the day in the hottest parts. I'm thinking a waterfall will be neccessary to keep the plants from boiling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.