The Planted Tank Forum banner

Should I get bucephelandra?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescaped my 20G long crypt collection last week, culled a couple species and moved everything to more size-appropriate spots. I've got about 15 Here's a quick cell pic of how it's looking thus far:

I'm considering ordering more Mini Taiwan Moss as the stuff I got about a month ago isn't looking so great yet.

But my question is will it look too crowded (once it fills in especially) if I started adding bucephelandra to the driftwood? I know I've got a lot going on here already but I really do like buces.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I just got a couple from one of the people who sell it on here. When I asked about
the light requirements he said to treat it like an Anubias. I feel it safe to say that each
individual kind of Buce has a slightly different light need. Then there's the line.
You know...on the one side of it you get better growth the higher you turn the light.
But then on the other side of that line you get GSA on the leavers if the light is too
high...that line. Mine have no GSA so far @ about 45-50 PAR/w Excel.
So up on the drift wood is close to that line, depending on your light level. Only
you know what that is. So make your best guess before you buy it/them.
Mine have just a couple of new leaves so far and their the mini type so they are
lost in the mix in there if you aren't sharp at spotting them because their ground level.
What Crypts have you found other than Parva and Petchii that stay smaller ?

Just a thought: You might want to hold up till it either does better or dies so you'll know before you waste your money.
Read this put in different words and see if you see what I did.
"The Mini Taiwan Moss I bought isn't doing well so I'm getting more of it."

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure my question was entirely clear - I'm not so concerned whether I can grow buce in this tank, more if I really should. My focus when I set up this tank was growing crypts, so I've collected many types and culled down to about 15 species. I'm curious whether adding buce might clash aesthetically with the crypt collection, if that makes sense.

So far as crypts that stay small go, petchii actually gets kinda big for me, you'd have to stay pretty vigilant trimming to keep it small. I like my costata a lot - small but elongated leaves ~4", brown/red color; ideii is super cool/compact - ~2" golden-colored leaves with green highlights; x willisii (lucens) - is like an enlarged parva.

And so far as your moss advice goes, if I were to follow that line of thinking I wouldn't have crypt hudouri or crypt nurrii Pahang mutate in my collection - can't always give up on the first try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts