Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Hate them, I can't stand looking at them and the prices are outrageous

Votes: 4 9.8%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it's just me, but I don't understand the popularity of the Buce. I've seen a few macro shots of emersed grown specimens that look nice, but I have yet to see an attractive aquascape utilizing these. From what I understand they are tiny, and slow growing. They always look gnarled, like a struggling plant, with ruffled leaves that in every photograph look damaged even if they are not. It may just be me, but give me a crypt any day over one of these Buce's! So I'd like your opinion, are they really that great or just a fad?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
After having 14 different var. and getting 4 to flower I have some definite thoughts.

Keeping Buce for most people is like forcing a square peg in a round hole. These are marginal plants that live on the edges of fast(er) moving steams that flood regularly. They also cling to to rocks in water fall type nitche-environments.

Both of these bio-types are very rare in the hobby. Len has managed to create that Bio-Type. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151017&page=25 Look at post #362

I have one B. 'Sintang' left at this time. I'm attempting to culture in in a Ebb/Flow Aquaponic system to stimulate wet dry cycles like it's native bio-type. I have it low enough in the Grow Bed that is is submersed 7Xs a day.

Sorry I couldn't fit my thoughts into your survey choices. I would say great little Terrarium plant not suited for an Aquarium.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think some like the "kedagang" are super gorgeous, and I've been watching prices so I can eventually snag some. I like that many of them have a "shine" to their leaves, but since I have no experience and have never seen one in person I'll reserve judgement.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
After having 14 different var. and getting 4 to flower I have some definite thoughts.

Keeping Buce for most people is like forcing a square peg in a round hole. These are marginal plants that live on the edges of fast(er) moving steams that flood regularly. They also cling to to rocks in water fall type nitche-environments.

Both of these bio-types are very rare in the hobby. Len has managed to create that Bio-Type. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151017&page=25 Look at post #362

I have one B. 'Sintang' left at this time. I'm attempting to culture in in a Ebb/Flow Aquaponic system to stimulate wet dry cycles like it's native bio-type. I have it low enough in the Grow Bed that is is submersed 7Xs a day.

Sorry I couldn't fit my thoughts into your survey choices. I would say great little Terrarium plant not suited for an Aquarium.

Are you saying that you lost the other 13 varieties you had? If that's what your saying, that sucks! I'm sorry for your loss.

That being said, I humbly have to disagree with Bucephalandra not being suited for the aquarium. I have plants that have been submerged for close to 2 years now. And despite being neglected from me, have been doing well.

Yes Edub, some Bucephalandra have to be seen in person to truely appreciate their beauty.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I agree that they are awesome. They are fairly new, and an overpriced plant for the time being until theres more of them to be had. But they are a beautiful contribution to the hobby. I also agree that they are good aquarium plant as ive had some submergent for nearly two years as well. as for looks in a tank, or aquascaping goes, just look at how terrible this tank looks. I think he should just give it to me its so ugly...

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/90-the-bucephalandras-land-of-bliss.7326/

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Are you saying that you lost the other 13 varieties you had? If that's what your saying, that sucks! I'm sorry for your loss.

That being said, I humbly have to disagree with Bucephalandra not being suited for the aquarium.....
Yes, that was depressing.

I made the error of adding a few Jewel Orchids to the emersed tank I was keeping them in. That introduces some type of small bug and I got got some black mold. I move some to submersed tank but I ended up loosing them. During that time I did have two var. in Submessed culture. They never had the growth rate that the emessed plants did.

My thoughts on the suitably for long term Aquarium use is strictly my opinion. Somewhat based on my experiences. I had Very Positive in emersed growth with high humidity /air temp. and modest to poor growth submersed. Also, studying videos of natural environment.

I feel this is one of those Survive vs. Thrive situations. I just don't feel that Buce will Thrive full submersed for extended periods.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
I love this plant the new leaves have all kinds of different colors from blue to red to pink to yellow they have so many color combinations and some are iridescent like nanga pinoh and all those shine species althought I will admit that they hate changes in enviroment and will succumb to mold very eassily but they flower more frequently than any other plant even when fully emerged so I love this plant

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
DogFish, I've heard Buces do really well in high light/CO2. Maybe they're not as hardy as anubias or crypts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I enjoy them. As a newbie, I wanted a hardy plant that isn't very finicky and had diversity. If you want to try one, I'd suggest Bucephalandra sp. Gigant.

I had to remove one of my gigants because they were growing too fast in the background and actually pushed the midground plants forward. Also, after a full 90% trim to my tank, two of them are showing 6 inch leaves within a week.

Still working on my tank...it's tough, but I feel this plant a lot more forgiving than most for someone new to planted tanks. I went the hard way by wanting to go soil instead of tied to rocks.... I think it'll look nice in the end.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow that tank has several thousand dollars worth of plants in it... I would stay up all night with nightmares about black brush algae.

It does look pretty nice though..and some of his macro shots are pretty stunning, but taking in the tank as a whole, It doesn't seem very lush, I'd rather have a tank full of brilliant reds and bright greens.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
DogFish, I've heard Buces do really well in high light/CO2. Maybe they're not as hardy as anubias or crypts.

I don't think it's a question of how hardy they are I think it's providing the correct environment. High light & CO2 are the "steroids" of the planted tank hobby. To my understanding pretty much everything does better with Higher Light & CO2? No ??

This video doesn't leave me with the impression that Buce naturally occurs in high light areas. To me Highlight plants are Water Lettuce, Lilies, Water Hyacinth that are in open water and get full Sun all day. These Buce may get a hour or so once or twice a day as the Sun peaks through the jungle canopy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uuVl39xX3U

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I love them! They show so many different colors, patterns, shapes, textures, sizes, etc. Pictures really don't seem to capture their true beauty, which is really a shame because they really are stunning plants. I have 15 types in my collection right now and i'm on the hunt for more. It's an addiction, for sure.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I really like how it seems like the can put out compact growth on wood. Probably good for a tank where you want something sturdier looking than a moss or anubias, but still want it to be covering a ton of wood.

Not sure why, but something about them reminds me of nepenthes pitcher plants...except the being underwater part and the not making pitchers part....the leaf shape is similar to me though :p

Never had any buce however, hopefully one day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bucephalandra are not very difficult plants to keep. Now I managed to harvest some of them from my own tank although it might takes months or even a year to propagate ;-) And it's true sometimes, they look ugly with holes, damaged leaves, bad growing shape when we first got them.

6 months ago:

now:

They are a slow grower. Some variants are even slower than Anubias nana. I keep them under low light environment, with minimum CO2, and also low dose of macro and micro. I only dose 1 pump (2-3mL) of macro and 1 pump micro fertilizer every week.

My aquarium spec:
- 60cm x 60cm x 45cm
- lighting: 4x24W T5HO lamp
- temp: 24C
- CO2 1bps
- gH 4-6
- pH 6.8
- NO3 10-15ppm
- NH4 0ppm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts