The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 tanks with large quantities of buce, both with LEDs. One tank it thrives, the other has always been in decline.

1) 5 gallon, buce on wood, 50% water change per month if I get to it and it is growing slowly but healthy and flowers at times, shrimp only. No c02. No fertilizing except for root tabs over a year ago.

2) 75 gallon, no C02, full of tetras, buce in wood, 20% water change bi weekly. I do a liquid fertilize every second WC. This buce was bought over a year ago- a huge amount. The leaves were huge and green and are now quite small and not at all healthy looking. It is the most prominent plant in this tank and basically the tank looks like crap because of it. Stem plants, lace leaf, and tiger lotus are are growing well.
Btw the anubias in this tank looks fine however does have that dark hard to scrape algae due to not being shaded.

As a simple plant, I feel it should look better than it does. Anything I’m missing? I could set the c02 back up but buce shouldn’t need it right?? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Buce doesn't needCO2, but did you mean to upload a picture? Buce is super slow growing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buce doesn't needCO2, but did you mean to upload a picture? Buce is super slow growing.
I can try a pic in the next day, may help. I didn’t attach one no.
Yes slow, but it’s definitely shrinking...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I can try a pic in the next day, may help. I didn’t attach one no.

Yes slow, but it’s definitely shrinking...
It definitely shouldn't be shrinking, but what are your water parameters?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was having issues with my Buce as well in a 29 gal. I have medium light intensity, and tried adding a rest period to my light schedule (4 on, 2 off, 4 on) and now I have no algae problems and the Buce appears to be growing well (though still slow). I does EI ferts as well. I did notice that the Buce on the lower pieces of wood (with roots in the substrate) look remarkably well compared the Buce that depends on water column ferts. I believe cutting the light (as mentioned) has slowed their appetite and the EI I am providing is meeting their needs. (No CO2 in my tank, either.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts