The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everone, this is my first post on this fourm. I just set up my first pressurized co2 system today for my 20 gallon tank. I have a 20lb co2 cylinder with the Aquarium Plants "Best" regulator and was wondering how many bubbles per minute would be optimal for lush plant growth. I am running an air stone just so I dont suffocate the inhabitants of the tank untill I figure out what exactly I need to do. So if anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That's a huge cylinder for a small tank ;) You can start at 1 bubble per second and raise it from there. The amount of light you have and your water kH also play a big role in the bubblerate you will need. Hopefully you have a solenoid, if so, hook it to your light timer. If you choose to run the airstone, which I don't think is needed, only run it at night if you can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Initially I bought the cylinder to run on 2 tanks at once. My 75 gallon is home to many fish that are not "plant friendly" (Firemouth, Convict, Jack Dempsey Chichlids, also a Tinfoil Barb. So once I find somebody that would give those fish a happy home I can't really go for broke on that tank as of now. My regulator does have a solenoid, however, my timer that my lights are hooked up to does not have any available plugs to plug it into. So I guess I will have to buy another timer on Ebay. I think I will stop the aistone right now and cross my fingers. How long does co2 need to be present for the plants to start pearling?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Crossing your fingers won't help. You need a test kit to read your KH and pH and use the CO2 chart that's available under water parameters as a sticky OR use a drop checker.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
6bps , you need a consant flow with a glass diffusor
unless ur fishes at used to the Co2
start slowy
6bps?? What the.

Like Overfloater said, start at 1bps. Soak the diffuser in some water first without the CO2. Get water inside of it and get the disk wet. Then slip the tubing onto the diffuser and crank up the bubble rate until the water is forced out and bubbles start coming out. Then turn it back down to 1bps and start there.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Initially I bought the cylinder to run on 2 tanks at once. My 75 gallon is home to many fish that are not "plant friendly" (Firemouth, Convict, Jack Dempsey Chichlids, also a Tinfoil Barb. So once I find somebody that would give those fish a happy home I can't really go for broke on that tank as of now. My regulator does have a solenoid, however, my timer that my lights are hooked up to does not have any available plugs to plug it into. So I guess I will have to buy another timer on Ebay. I think I will stop the aistone right now and cross my fingers. How long does co2 need to be present for the plants to start pearling?
You will see immediate improvement in plant growth. Pearling may only happen if you have sufficient plant mass. Anyway you look at it, CO2 is a tremendous asset and the plants will respond kindly.

I would look into one of these doodads.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441812928&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030121&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1175389584186&itemNo=0&Ntt=power+center&In=Fish&previousText=power+center&N=2023693
-OR-
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441812958&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030121&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1175389584226&itemNo=1&Ntt=power+center&In=Fish&previousText=power+center&N=2023693

I have the latter. I have bought many powerstrips and timers over the years and the coralife unit is a much better option. You can run your CO2 and lights on the same timer and you have another timer that you can use to run something else, such as a moonlight or air pump. It's a reliable and simple clean installation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maby I'll cross my toes JK. Yes, I already have the coralife timer that Overfloater has mentioned in the last post (very reliable). The only thing is that I do not hav any room on that powerstrip. (I know that I need to buy another to make sure everything is copesetic). It is only the first day of injecting co2 into my first aquarium so I may or may not have evertyhing in perfect order. I am well aware of the trial and error method).

75 gallon (not going to mention the details due to the fish that make it almost impossible to keep live plants in.)

20 gallon__
Aquarium Plants (BEST) regulator.
Fluval 205 Canister Filter,
Black Sand Substrate
(still finding trying to find the best dosage for ferts)

Plants_
some crypts, anubious, and some dwarf hair grass.
Florish Excell (as recommended by the bottle)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is powering the lights for both tanks, 75g and 20g. The 75g has the Coralife 4x65w PC's so it has 2 plugs but only one is plugged into the timer while the 1x65w PC for the 20 is using the other plug. I have the heater and the filter plugged into the white side of the plugs, and every once in a while I'll plug the second plug for the 4x65w into the white side as well. That leaves one plug that I have open on the white side. The airstone is plugged into the blue plug so when the lights are off the airstone turns on.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It is powering the lights for both tanks, 75g and 20g. The 75g has the Coralife 4x65w PC's so it has 2 plugs but only one is plugged into the timer while the 1x65w PC for the 20 is using the other plug. I have the heater and the filter plugged into the white side of the plugs, and every once in a while I'll plug the second plug for the 4x65w into the white side as well. That leaves one plug that I have open on the white side. The airstone is plugged into the blue plug so when the lights are off the airstone turns on.
I see. I suggest some stem plants ASAP to ward off algae. If you really want to see plants sprint with CO2, stems are your best bet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I added some stem plants last night, Watter Wisteria, and some Carolina Cabomba. Also I noticed that both of my Ottos were laying on their backs on the sand substrate. I poked them with my finger and then they slowly swam up to the surface of the water. I am not sure if I am poisoning them with the CO2 or not but almost everyone in the tank is acting strangely. A Lemon Tetra was stuck in my Micro Sword not really moving so I poked him and he did the same thing the Ottos did. I have one bubble per second going into the tank so I don't really know if that is enough CO2 to suffocate them or not. I also did not dose the Excell this morning in fear that I have overdosed the tank. (did a water change on Sunday and dosed Excell as per the instructions, dosed on Monday as well but not today). The Ottos have only been in the tank for a few weeks. If anybody has any suggestions on what the problem may be please let me know. Oh yea, I am going to get a gH and kH test kit from Old Town Aquarium on my way home today. I hope there is some good instructions for finding out the CO2 levels with both test kits.
Thanks.
JerryO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.