The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new pistia plant online and it's been 4 days . It's doing well. After the last 30 percent water change that I do weekly I've noticed these bubbles develop . Is it something to worry .
Tank size is 20 gallon
Low tech Planted tank with no ferts. Just some dwarf sage and plant o do not know the name of I grew from seeds.
I have 4 zebra danios in there.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

·
Banned
628 Posts
It could be anaerobic bacteria activity. You might have to prod the substrate with a chop stick or something similar to let some gasses out. That will also let some oxygen get into the substrate. You don't want to stir up or disturb the bottom layer. Anaerobes can actually get rid of some of your excess Nitrates according to Dr. Novak. This is to be expected with a low-tech planted tank.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Where are those bubbles forming? In the substrate or on top of the water?

If it's on the substrate, read the above response.

If the bubbles are on the top of the water, then it's lack of surface movement/excess organic buildup. Just skim off the top of the tank when doing water changes to prevent this from happening in the future.

If the bubbles are on the glass after a water change: use warmer water next time and outgas the WC water, you're using water that comes out cold, and is therefore supersaturated at warmer temperatures with gas, which forms on the glass, etc once it comes out of solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are those bubbles forming? In the substrate or on top of the water?

If it's on the substrate, read the above response.

If the bubbles are on the top of the water, then it's lack of surface movement/excess organic buildup. Just skim off the top of the tank when doing water changes to prevent this from happening in the future.

If the bubbles are on the glass after a water change: use warmer water next time and outgas the WC water, you're using water that comes out cold, and is therefore supersaturated at warmer temperatures with gas, which forms on the glass, etc once it comes out of solution.
Thanks bubbles were forming on the water surface along the edges and yes I forgot I had lowered the filter output pipe which reduced surface agitation. I've moved it back up and now I see them almost gone!

It could be anaerobic bacteria activity. You might have to prod the substrate with a chop stick or something similar to let some gasses out. That will also let some oxygen get into the substrate. You don't want to stir up or disturb the bottom layer. Anaerobes can actually get rid of some of your excess Nitrates according to Dr. Novak. This is to be expected with a low-tech planted tank.
Thanks but the bubbles are on the surface of water do I still need to prod the substrate?. Speaking of substrate Its been 6 months since I set this tank up and I had brown algae building up on the surface of the substrate which is now almost dead ever since I got regular with water changes . But the dead brown algae is still all over the substrate in clumps...some of which I manage to remove after every WC. Is there a way to remove it. TIA

·
Banned
628 Posts
Thanks but the bubbles are on the surface of water do I still need to prod the substrate?. Speaking of substrate Its been 6 months since I set this tank up and I had brown algae building up on the surface of the substrate which is now almost dead ever since I got regular with water changes . But the dead brown algae is still all over the substrate in clumps...some of which I manage to remove after every WC. Is there a way to remove it. TIA

No, don't bother to prod the substrate if the bubbles are on the surface. @ichthyogeek posted a good explanation above.

I just checked the algae FAQ and it says the brown algae are diatoms. Possibly due to excess silica or old unchanged fluorescent light tubes. The FAQ says Otocinclus can help to remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.