The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just put co2 into my 120 and tonight I was able to see little bubbles coming out of my fluval 405, I just had my co2 running 8 hours about 3/4 of a bubble a second until I get my ph controller working right. Was wondering if the filter holds co2 bubbles in it or what, have never seen this on my other tanks. And these bubbles were still coming out of the filter 2 hours after co2 was turned off:confused1:

John

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Many filters can hold some bubbles then 'burp' them out occasionally.

Depends on how much of the CO2 is allowed to escape at once, and how well chewed up it is if it passes through the impeller on its way out of the tank. Some filters 'burp' out such a large bubble that you know it is being wasted. Other filters release more of a trickle, like you are describing.
Do the bubbles instantly rise and pop? Or are they small enough to drift around a while?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have my co2 coming out of a ceramic disc diffuser which sits right under the intake for my c-220 marineland filter. I can hear the filter return burping once in a while. The co2 is first diffused into tiny bubbles and then the make there way through the filter and get burped out on occasion. Seems like a nice long path for diffusion to take place. I run bubbles so fast you cant keep count, but for speculation I would guess around 8 per second.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it is definitely not just air, this has never happend before just after I put the co2 into the tank, so I'm guessing it is the co2 the bubbles are very small and they float around for quite a while.

Really what my concern is, is that I have heard that co2 going into your filter can kill bacteria if it passes through your media inside the canister, I know sounds crazy.

(I have heard of people running there co2 under there intakes before)

I heard this from Mark at aquariumplants.com, if I can't believe him who can I believe.

Can someone please shed some light on this subject.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts