The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 10 gallon aquarium running for about two months now with flourite black sand as the substrate. It is 1.5 inches deep in the front and 3 in the back. Ammonia-0, NO2-0, NO3-about 10, Gh-about 11, Kh- about 11. It has two plain old 15w flourescent fixtures over it and I dose using the pps pro system along with excel. When I was doing maintanence I pulled up one of my crypts, and a ton of bubbles came out of the sand. Same thing happened when I pulled up some other plants. Is this normal, or should I be worried? Also I read somewhere that flourite black sand doesn't do any more than regular sand does for the plants, is this true? Oh, by the way, I do 50% water changes every weekend and the stocking is: 6 amano shrimp, about 40 red cherry shrimp, and 6 Heterandria Formosa.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I would guess that it is gases produced by anaerobic bacteria. Some say it is bad, but I have it happen in my mini m with no ill affects.
Come to think of it, my plants in that tank aren't growing at all, but I think that's due to the fact that I hadn't dosed ferts in a while until today...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It could either be CO2 or Hydrogen Sulfide. My guess is CO2 since your tank hasn't been running that long and your substrate isn't that deep... unless you ended up with an anaerobic pocket from some crypt roots dying before you pulled them up?

Do you remember smelling anything funny? Hydrogen sulfide smells pretty strongly of sulphur. It also is pretty toxic to fish, so you might want to do a water change just to be on the safe side (actually it's always a good idea to do a large water change after pulling up or moving around plants, since nutrients get stirred up into the water column and can cause ammonia spikes and/or algae blooms).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plants are all still growing pretty fast, but its not the plants that I'm really worried about. It is neither cheap nor easy to get fish and shrimp out where I live. The best pet store near where I live is a Petsmart an hour away, and all their livestock is usually in poor condition. However, you saying that you're plants aren't growing has got me worried now...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, I didn't read the other posts. It didn't smell like anything really, but I wasn't really paying attention, and I don't think its co2 since my plants only pearl on water change day which leads me to believe my tap water is high in co2...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.