The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to notice that since using the rhinox 5000 glass diffusor instead of my old bubble ladder, my pH controller has not been running the co2 as much. I'm talking I barely ever see the co2 on, maybe 3 hours a day total. I know that the diffusor is a much better method than the ladder, but algae has been biting me on the @33 as of late. I have kept the bubble rate the same as when using the ladder. Now my question is since one of the proposed biggest improvements over the diffusors than other methods is direct contact of the micro bubbles with the plants, I'm beginning to wonder if I should slow the bubble rate so that I can maintain the co2 levels but much more slowly so that the bubbles are constantly flowing in the tank? Could the micro bubbles possibly be collecting under the pH probe and causing the controller to shut off prematurely? My tank has literally went from beautiful to absolute crap in the last month since installing the diffusor. Maybe I should just hook up the co2 to the light timer and dissconnect the ph controller. What do you guys think? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump......anyone have any input?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't run a pH controller, so I don't have the same experience. However, maybe the microbubbles contacting the probe is causing false pH readings?

I run a solenoid connected to a timer. You don't need CO2 at night anyway. The only difference is that you have to be concerned about bubble rate. With a pH controller, it won't be going full blast all day long, whereas with a timer, it will. So if you go that route, make sure you monitor your fish for distress signals.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking maybe lower the pH controller to a level where the bubble rate couldn't get to unless of end of tank dump as a safety precaution. Maybe even put something around the tip of the probe so no bubbles could contact it. I could get a drop checker also and watch fish and ph level maintained, and hook up the controller on a timer. I kinda need the controller as a safety precaution as the tank pressure gauge on my regulator is broken. Anyone else using a ph controller with diffusors experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Anthony,

I use a ph controller with a ceramic airstone diffuser in my 29g. I have my bubble rate set at about 3bps (anything less and I can't get enough small bubbles out of the airstone). My CO2 typically runs for 15 minute intervals about 4 times a day at the above rate. The plants are pearling by early afternoon. I have the probe placed as far from the diffuser as possible. I have used the ph controller from day one of pressurized CO2 so I can't speak of its effectiveness compared to simply using a timer.

Aside from the algae, how are your plants growing now compared to before? If they have slowed, maybe you could try increasing your CO2 levels by selecting a lower ph reading for the controller.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually they have. When I had tried to lower the pH level on the controller by the time co2 would shut off my rainbowfish were gasping at the surface. My tank as mainly been overtaken by hair and thread algae. Especially on the substrate, it grows thick enough there that when I remove it manually I also remove a fair amount of attached flourite also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts