The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
It serves as a visual; it gives you something to help you initially estimate the amount of CO2 going to your tank.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
so its almost he same as drop checker?

this pressurized co2 is confusing,, anyone tell me what dose a regulator do?

and a checkvalve?

no hijacking attended, jus thought it would fit in

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's not the same as a drop checker. It's a guide, whereas the dropchecker gives you the end result. If the bubble counter is giving you 3 bps and your drop checker is blue, that tells you you need to go up to more bps. You adjust the bubble counter until you get a green drop checker.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A drop checker gives you the level of co2 in your tank.
A bubble counter shows how much co2 you are injecting in your tank.
A regulator is a device attached to a co2 tank that regulates the co2pressure coming out of the co2 tank,so you need it in order to decrease the high pressure(800-1200 psi) to 20-30 psi,then a needle valve decreases it even further to .5 psi ,this is what you'll see in a bubble counter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
and you can get a ph controller, but, that gives a rough idea of the co2, its not a 'direct' relationship, although the co2 and ph are inversely related, see here: That's why apparently you have to measure both co2 & ph w/ a co2 system, b/c the co2 can vary, depending on the ph, and the kh.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/co2.pdf

Most people here say you want 30ppm co2, but this chart doesn't necessarily suggest that from Rex, something more to confuse the issue:)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
A drop checker gives you the level of co2 in your tank.
A bubble counter shows how much co2 you are injecting in your tank.
A regulator is a device attached to a co2 tank that regulates the co2pressure coming out of the co2 tank,so you need it in order to decrease the high pressure(800-1200 psi) to 20-30 psi,then a needle valve decreases it even further to .5 psi ,this is what you'll see in a bubble counter.
^ yup. The needle valve gives fine control of the number of bubbles you're injecting into your tank. You look at the bubble counter when you adjust the needle valve to see how many bps (bubbles per second) you're putting into the tank. This isn't the best method to see how much CO2 is in your tank, however, due to differences in diffusion methods and differences in outgassing of CO2 due to varying equipment.

To actually measure the amount of CO2 in your tank, a drop checker comes into play. It will change colors depending on the levels of dissolved CO2 in your tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so back to my question. If i am using a ladder type CO2 diffuser that comes with the nutrafin yeast type kit then i dont NEED a bubble counter because i can just count the bubbles on the ladder ? Can i continue using this ladder diffuser once i go to presurized CO2 ? I only need a bubble counter if i am using a reactor type diffuser ?

James

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why is that ? And if it is true then what should i use ? I have an aquaclear filter. The kind that hangs off of the back of the tank.

James

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The ladder also serves as a bubble counter. However I would still have a gas separator in the system.

You can use the ladder with a pressurized system but it's not the most efficient way to diffuse the CO2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts