The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bubble counter keeps spitting out the tube that goes to the diffuser.
(I am using your standard bubble counter with the brass screw top, clear glass cylinder and brass on the bottom....)

it seems that there is not enough for the top screw thing to grab on to to hold it to the nipple???

If anyone knows what I am trying to explain and has a solution....I would be ever so happy....I recently dumped an entire 5lb canister of co2 into the world of my basement after the hose came off.

If I can't figure this out, I am going to fly without a bubble counter and try to figure out how to not blow my diffuser off the end of the hose.

thank you

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I had some similar issues when I was setting up my CO2 reactor. Not the same high pressure situation, but what worked for me was getting hose clamps and tightening it down and it holds very firmly. I know that you can get very small hose clamps and that is what I would try first.

Good luck. Others may have other suggestions.

Ben

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used very small "ties" on the diffuser end...but I don't know if I can find a small enough tie to fit under the brass fitting on the top of the bubble counter??.....if I fly without a bubble counter I will use one of those ties to clamp the hose to the nipple

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
This looks like it might work well:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Don't use one. Horrible measure of co2. Ph vs kh table is far better or a drop checker

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My bubble counter keeps spitting out the tube that goes to the diffuser.
(I am using your standard bubble counter with the brass screw top, clear glass cylinder and brass on the bottom....)

it seems that there is not enough for the top screw thing to grab on to to hold it to the nipple???

If anyone knows what I am trying to explain and has a solution....I would be ever so happy....I recently dumped an entire 5lb canister of co2 into the world of my basement after the hose came off.

If I can't figure this out, I am going to fly without a bubble counter and try to figure out how to not blow my diffuser off the end of the hose.

thank you
What is your working pressure? does the hose come off of the bubble counter or the diffuser? Are you sure you're using the correct sized tubing?

Don't use one. Horrible measure of co2. Ph vs kh table is far better or a drop checker

I dont understand why some people say this. Sure the bubble counter is not a great way to compare one person's setup to another and really does nothing to measure co2 levels in your aquarium; but it is still a useful tool just for your own piece of mind. A quick glance at the bubble counter can at least confirm that everything is the same today as it was yesterday. Ever have someone poking around looking at your tanks and you cant help but wonder if they couldn't resist turning that needle valve knob just to see what it does? Well waiting for your drop checker to confirm that your co2 is wide open isn't a great idea there; and neither is taking ph and kh measurements and checking the chart.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
There is no way at a quick glance you can tell 5 bps vs 7bps.

A quicker and more effective glance at a drop checker with fresh fluid is far better. And doesn't have potential for leaks :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There is no way at a quick glance you can tell 5 bps vs 7bps.

A quicker and more effective glance at a drop checker with fresh fluid is far better. And doesn't have potential for leaks :)

Maybe. But you certainly can quickly tell the difference between 5bps and 50 bps! Also you can immediately tell and dont have to wait the hour or so for the drop checker to change color when its already done its harm to the tank. I like to use bubble counters and drop checkers so kind of a moot point I suppose.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point, I just need to get my system to spit co2 into the tank.

Does anyone know if "hose size" is an issue? I am using standard aquarium airline hose....that neoprene kind....

If i can get my bubble counter to hold the hose I'll use it...if not, I'll clamp it to the nipple and count my drops on the tank end as I have been sending my diffuser output through my canister for increased saturation.....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Are you sure you're using the correct sized tubing?
Does anyone know if "hose size" is an issue? I am using standard aquarium airline hose....that neoprene kind....

If i can get my bubble counter to hold the hose I'll use it...if not, I'll clamp it to the nipple and count my drops on the tank end as I have been sending my diffuser output through my canister for increased saturation.....

Chances are you have the wrong sized tubing for the application. airline tubing is also not well suited for co2. It works but technically wont work for a very long time. I believe airline tubing is actually a bit porous and will leak over time.

I believe the "standard co2 resistant" tubing is 1/8" inner diameter and 1/4" outer diameter. I think "standard airline tubing" is typically 3/16" inner diameter. Minuscule differences but they could make all the difference for you.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Since there hasn't been a solution yet, can you post a pic? I'm still confused as to exactly why the hose doesn't get clamped down. Perhaps, as lksdrinker suggested, the larger inner tube diameter (and thinner walls) is the problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved- I'm at work at the moment and can't take photo's.....
here is a verbal

I found some larger tubing. much stiffer and a bit thicker than standard airline tube

Also: with your basic aquatec bubble counter the o-ring goes on the bottom and there is NO o-ring on the top. For some reason I had an o-ring on the top. There is a slight ridge on the upper nipple and I thought that was to accept an 0-ring.

WRONG!!! that is to allow the tubing to go on a bit further and allows the upper nut to grab ahold better...as soon as I removed the upper o-ring the problem was solved.

What have I learned?- I am sure that somewhere in the "directions" this was mentioned. I steadfastly hang on to the philosophy that real men do not read or follow directions....we need to stumble around like morons until we find the solution that my wife would have seen decades ago.....

this was a "face-palm" moment last night....I had been fussing with this damnthing for years.....seriously years...way back to my Salt days.....

Yes- I am a moron!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts